over fill a low pressure steel tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quite an informative and at times entertaining post. Great thing about SB.

Last edited:
I overfill my steel doubles on a routine basis. The HP100's somehow got pumped up to 3900 last time (and then were stored in a hot garage, so I'm kinda lucky they didn't blow the disks I'm thinking) without the fill guy noticing. Last time both sets got filled to 3000psi... not worth the effort driving 45 minutes to get fills to make sure I have gas when I arrive at the dive site if they're gonna be 200-600psi short!

If I fill a set of LP80's (rated 2460) to 3200psi, I get 208.2 cubic feet of gas on a fill. Filling the HP100s (rated 3442) to 3600psi, I get 209.2 cubic feet of gas.

I'd like to move to LP85's across the board - they're a little longer, which I think would help my trim (I have a long torso and the 80s and 100s I have now are short, leaving me head-heavy), and hold near the same amount of gas when filled to 3200psi.

I LOVE that place!! Owner is very cool fellow.

He is, isn't he? I was just by there dropping off some AL30's I sold this past weekend but unfortunately he wasn't there.

I got a pair of LP85's with the idea of getting them filled to 3000 or so..Ha! No one around here will over fill them. :no:

If I fill a set of LP80's (rated 2460) to 3200psi, I get 208.2 cubic feet of gas on a fill.

Can you explain your formula or was that a typo?
(Actual Fill/Rated Fill * Rated Volume or (3200/2640)*80 = 96.96 cu ft)
** 2400+10% would be 2640 at 80 cu ft **

Doubles would still only give me 193.92 cu ft.

Last edited:
Exceeding working pressure decreases the total (10000) fills you can expect before failing the hydro. Ihave spoke to my hydro guys and they say my tanks recover fully. not 97% but fully.

Your hydro guys are wrong.

Since the thread Scuba Cylinder explodes in the AI, which as you know I participated in, I've been doing a ton of investigations which I'll start another thread on soon.

However, as stated in that thread. A hydo test stretches the tank - The tanks can only stretch so far, and must then return back to dimension. This dimension is greater than the starting size. The tanks never go back to their original size.

Can you explain your formula or was that a typo?
(Actual Fill/Rated Fill * Rated Volume or (3200/2640)*80 = 96.96 cu ft)
** 2400+10% would be 2640 at 80 cu ft **

Doubles would still only give me 193.92 cu ft.

I said 2460, not 2640

Post a picture of it beside a Al 80, with closeups of the neck stamps and I'm sure we can sort it out.

Since, until recently, the tank size was not stamped into the neck, it is easy to get bad info on tank size. I had a friend get a couple of Faber mid pressure tanks that turned out to be 72's rather than the 80's that he was sold. The same could happen with pressure if the neck stamps were unclear and/or one was directed to the wrong numbers.

Bob

yESW THER ARE SOME I WOULD HAVE TO LOOK IN MY psi MANUAL FOR THE DATES DN PLACES.. oops
Your hydro guys are wrong.

Since the thread Scuba Cylinder explodes in the AI, which as you know I participated in, I've been doing a ton of investigations which I'll start another thread on soon.

However, as stated in that thread. A hydo test stretches the tank - The tanks can only stretch so far, and must then return back to dimension. This dimension is greater than the starting size. The tanks never go back to their original size.

I think you are being too picky on the comment for its intent. I over fill my tanks. they recover lets say 99.9 % of the expansion. for lay people they recover fully. The over filling and reduction of the 10.000 fills i got from faber them selves, not the hydro guys. I dont think there is anyone that believes that anything is possible of FULL 100% absolute recovery. That conversation with the hydro guys was started because of attempting to get a + rating on hte tank. They said they do not do + stamps. Apparently the + is a scuba thing and they don't do them, as their main business is not scuba tanks.

Last edited:
I think you are being too picky on the comment for its intent. I over fill my tanks. they recover lets say 99.9 % of the expansion. for lay people they recover fully. The over filling and reduction of the 10.000 fills i got from faber them selves, not the hydro guys. I dont think there is anyone that believes that anything is possible of FULL 100% absolute recovery. That conversation with the hydro guys was started because of attempting to get a + rating on hte tank. They said they do not do + stamps. Apparently the + is a scuba thing and they don't do them, as their main business is not scuba tanks.

wow, I sometimes wonder where people come up with this crap.
Do some research, don't perpetuate the stupidity of others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom