Over The Counter Sudafed Sends Utah Woman To Jail In Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I routinely use pseudoephedrine to aid equalization when diving and have a trip planned for June so was pretty startled when I saw this thread. Glad to see the reassurance about Cozumel but also wondering if the fact that I have it as a prescription would make any difference.

Interestingly the picture in the linked news story is not a box of pseudoephedrine.

It's always worth checking where ever you go. Just because you can buy it over the counter in your country doesn't' mean its acceptable in the country you're travelling too.

Codine for instance is banned here in the UAE (among others) However if you have a Doctors certificate from your home country you are allowed it.

Then again we can buy drugs over the counter here where I would need a Dr's prescription in the UK

Tylenol Sinus? I've used it to relieve a sinus headache but don't recall it being as effective as Sudafed 12 hour.

When I ask absentmindedly ask my pharmacist for a box of decongestant, he replies, "the one that works or the one that doesn't?" the later being phenylephrine. Completely useless for me.

Tylenol for sinus works just as well.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers
:banghead: So do sugar pills according to some. People who need decongestants usually find that it's worthless.

It'd be interesting to see the other side of the lady's story, but her version is just pathetic. Note this part...
At the end of the process, the Carvers said an official asked them if they’d like the Sudafed back, and then were told they could buy more at the pharmacy on the corner.

Tylenol for sinus works just as well.

There are several studies showing that the active ingredient in Tylenol Sinus (Phenylephrine) is no more effective than placebo. It's been in the news here in the USA a good bit lately. On the other hand, there are studies showing nitrox is not effective at reducing fatigue and I use nitrox (in part) for that purpose...

Here's two:
A placebo-controlled study of the nasal decongestant effect of phenylephrine and pseudoephedrine in the Vienna Challenge Chamber. - PubMed - NCBI

Efficacy of loratadine-montelukast on nasal congestion in patients with seasonal allergic rhinitis in an environmental exposure unit. - PubMed - NCBI

Human readable information about it:
Common decongestant may be worthless, study finds

Glad I didn't go to prison for bringing Sudafed to Coz last year... Funny, considering I did stop by the local pharmacy to buy several medicines OTC which require a prescription here.

That is crazy...

I got hit by a local driver who lost control of his truck in a rain pour between Cancun and Playa once. Not knowing the rules someone showed up on site and said he was from the insurance company and ask that I sign a form stating that the accident was both our faults and then I would be free to leave. All that I could think about was my family's vacation and stuck in this situation. So I signed the form...then MY insurance guy showed up and said it was all BS and he would take care of it for me and that I could leave. Silly me I was waiting for the police to tell me to leave.

When I went to turn in the rental vehicle and they saw the damage, naturally they got a little excited. They made some calls and now that original form I signed stating that the accident was both our faults was binding and I was responsible for all of the damages. We discussed this for about an hour (all the time my departure time was getting closer) with me telling them that my (our) insurance guys said it was not my fault yet we still had a document on file. Finally as my flight time was getting to close for comfort and our discussion was getting us nowhere, I asked, "How much do I owe you?". They said since I bought the extra insurance the $1700 bill was going to be $65. I wished they would have told me that an hour earlier. I gladly paid the $65 and made my flight.

Take-Away Lesson: Don't sign anything unless you know EXACTLY what you are signing and always buy "local" liability insurance when renting a car in Mexico from the Car Rental Company.

Back
Top Bottom