Over the head donning of BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone have a you tube link to over the head donning? I've seen pictures, but I'd like to see a good view of how it is done.

Does anyone have a you tube link to over the head donning? I've seen pictures, but I'd like to see a good view of how it is done.

Not sure what it would get ya, but you may try doing a search or googling donning SCBA's. This is typically how firefighters routinely put their packs on. In the meantime, I'll try to see what I can find for ya. A quick search turned up a clip of what looks like a volunteer group doing some 160 training. Here a FF shows how to don a pack in 40 seconds.

And here is one more done in a lil more controlled setting.

Different packs, different gear, however the motions are nearly identical.

Kenny

I like the "pizza toss" donning method. Throw the BC up in the air, with a few spins for good measure, hold up your arms and let it fall naturally in place.

I like the "pizza toss" donning method. Throw the BC up in the air, with a few spins for good measure, hold up your arms and let it fall naturally in place.

I tried that once but didn't spin fast enough. The tank ended up landing on my head and gave me a wicked headache.

Its considered very macho. much like Mike Nelson would do, but then his doubles were fashioned from balsa wood and made to look real. I have a dvd of one episode where they went over the side and floated! :rofl3: Not being one to waste film, they used the shot anyway.

over the head used to be fairly common. the advent of integrated weights made it more difficult without a hernia inducing heave ho.

I saw one guy do it on a crowded dive boat once. I raised my hand and stopped the tank from hitting the girl next to him as he pirrouetted as he threw the tank over his head like some prima ballerina. not a recommended move.

I watched a video where George Irvine dons his bp/w with the over-the-head method and was quite impressed and a bit shocked. If I tried to do that, I'd probably decapitate or crush myself. The weight of my gear is nearly 50% of my body weight....I think that method would be a recipe for disaster. I much prefer having my buddy help me out or setting it on the bumper of the truck.

You could seriously crack your head open by donning your tank over your head.

Maybe the head of the guy behind you, but not your own head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom