OW class question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, I get it! Because his opinion that your pet book is a slow read, he must need an instructor's help, huh.

Good job, moderator. Between you and Diver0001, it seems you two have the power abuse function all locked down here.

I am not sure I understand. Some people will find such a book an easy read and plow through it, thereby learning a lot. Others will prefer to go to a class and learn it from an instructor. People are different.

I am not sure how that constitutes abuse of power in my role as a moderator.

I am not sure I understand. Some people will find such a book an easy read and plow through it, thereby learning a lot. Others will prefer to go to a class and learn it from an instructor. People are different.

Your attempt to poke fun at him because he doesn't find your pet book interesting. I'm sure he's perfectly capable of learning from a book. Given the job he states, and the certifications he states, he can learn from a book, without the "help" of an instructor just fine. Your comment comes across harsh and without merit.

I seriously thought about hitting the report abuse button for the first time here on that.

Then I realized you'd probably be the first mod to read it, and bury it. Why waste the time?

Your attempt to poke fun at him because he doesn't find your pet book interesting. I'm sure he's perfectly capable of learning from a book. Given the job he states, and the certifications he states, he can learn from a book, without the "help" of an instructor just fine. Your comment comes across harsh and without merit.

I seriously thought about hitting the report abuse button for the first time here on that.

Then I realized you'd probably be the first mod to read it, and bury it. Why waste the time?
Please do report it. It is not possible for me or anyone else to bury it.

Never said anything about not being an easy read, just very dry. Maybe you missed that in my other post.

Some people learn well independently, by reading and seeking out other resources. Others do better with an instructor who can make the process interactive and tailored to the student's increase of understanding. Nothing pejorative about recognizing that!

Some people learn well independently, by reading and seeking out other resources. Others do better with an instructor who can make the process interactive and tailored to the student's increase of understanding. Nothing pejorative about recognizing that!
No, there's not.

However, when he explicitly singles out Andy as "one of those", who apparently can't learn on their own and need "help", it is extremely pejorative. boulderjohn's comment was designed as an insult to Andy for the perceived slight of finding his pet book boring.

Wow I forgot I posted this here, first off thanks for all the info and different opinions. I did go and look at videos and learn how to do tables. I understand computers are the way to go. But like when I was going through instrument training in flight school I want to know the basics when something is going wrong. If I didn't know what it should be roughly how would I know if my comp is putting out crap info. That was the basis for me wanting to know tables as a back up. I made it through the first three pages now I have to go back and read this whole thing.

Thanks again everyone for the info!

Wow I forgot I posted this here, first off thanks for all the info and different opinions. I did go and look at videos and learn how to do tables. I understand computers are the way to go. But like when I was going through instrument training in flight school I want to know the basics when something is going wrong. If I didn't know what it should be roughly how would I know if my comp is putting out crap info. That was the basis for me wanting to know tables as a back up. I made it through the first three pages now I have to go back and read this whole thing.

Thanks again everyone for the info!

I, for one, am glad you came back. I was afraid we had scared you off.

There is a feature that allows you to subscribe to a thread, and once you do, you will receive an email letting you know that there has been another post to the thread. At the top of the page, in the blue bar, there is a drop-down menu, labeled "Thread Tools," which will allow you to subscribe to a thread (whether or not you have started it and whether or not you have made a post).

If you are subscribed to a thread and want to stop the subscription (for instance, if there's a raging off-topic debate about the merits of teaching tables to OW students when what you want is information about whether and how to learn tables), you can use drop-down menu labeled "Thread Tools" for that as well.

In addition, you can set up your account so that you are automatically subscribed to threads in which you make a post. For that, go to the top of the page and click on "User CP." Go to "General Settings." Under "Messenging & Notification" you can select the "Default Thread Subscription Mode." Of course, you can change your setting as you wish.

Well I am only going to bring this to the top one more time. I got my OW cert last weekend in Rockport, MA. Water was 50 deg day 1 vis about 5 ft, day 2 vis was about 15. All in all it was a good experience little stunned when the cold water hit my face when I had to take my mask off. I regrouped and got it done.

... little stunned when the cold water hit my face when I had to take my mask off. I regrouped and got it done.

Good job on the certification, congradulations.

Really cold water on the face is always the tough part. Some Instructors get their students to put their face into the cold water at the start of the dives to get a bit used to the "shock".

My student last week had the same thing happen. Mask came off and you could see the "Oh my" expression, then a pause, and then she got it done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom