Own or rent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My key OC stuff all fits in a carry on. Even my revo and bail out regs with computers fit in my carry ons.
I’d rather stick a fork in BOTH eyes than fly with my rebreather. Most people have a jacket BCs and those likely aren’t going to fit in a carryon with everything else.

I’d rather stick a fork in BOTH eyes than fly with my rebreather. Most people have a jacket BCs and those likely aren’t going to fit in a carryon with everything else.

Will if fully deflated and packed right. I'm bringing my breather to FL in a couple months.

Will if fully deflated and packed right. I'm bringing my breather to FL in a couple months.
Why not just wear it onto the plane like a backpack? I have seen that.

Why not just wear it onto the plane like a backpack? I have seen that.

That exactly what I do. Off board computer and BO regs go in my personal item.

Last time the TSA agent was jealous.

My wife and I use to have the old style jacket BC's and used big dive bags to travel with.
we bought the Scubapro hydros pros over 5 yrs ago and have no regrets,
diving warm water we just put everything in the backpack bag that comes with the BC and even put our 2-3 mm suits in also. We have never checked our luggage since. We have our small clothes carry on and our dive gear backpack no chance of lost luggage.

Regulator service $150 each per year.

* looking for regulator servicing class *

When I knew I was going to dive, it was a no brainer for me - it was all about the $$$.

Here's how I look at it. Most ops rent either a set of full gear or a la carte - did a quick look at 2 top ops in Cozumel. One does full gear for $37.00 and both do individual items for $10/apiece - these rates are usually for the day (as opposed to per dive.)

Before I replaced my BC, I had 128 dives with it so I'll use that number for the reg and wetsuit (rather full or shorty) also. For the example, I'll say that total was for 64 boat trips of 2 dives each. I paid $1398 for my BC, reg, 3mm, and shorty. Renting just those 3 pieces of gear at $10 per item for 64 boat trips would total $1920. Could do the same thing with other pieces of gear such as fins. My dive computer past and present took more and will take more dives to make it cost efficient. In the long run, even with servicing, you'll come out ahead.

I think we’re leaning that way but wanted to see if there were strong opinions to NOT buy the gear. So far, the opinions clearly are leaning hard the other way.
Nobody is going to have a strong opinion to NOT buy dive gear. Once people become "avid divers," as you describe yourselves, it is uncommon for them not to buy a full set of dive gear. We occasionally hear of exceptions, as I related in a post above about a reasonably avid diving couple who opted to rent BCs and regs for a long time to avoid what most of us consider trivial hassles and expenses involved in taking care of our own gear. Nobody who hangs out on SB is going to recommend not buying gear to someone who says they have been diving for a while and plan to dive even more.

Back
Top Bottom