Oxigen Concentrator to a tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do when I am diving in a place without commercially available bottled gas.

Yes, I use a modified respironics ultrafill. It takes the concentrator output and pumps it to 3000 psi.
It works great for open circuit diving. It isn't ideal for rebreathers, but it does work with some additional steps.

Yes, I use a modified respironics ultrafill. It takes the concentrator output and pumps it to 3000 psi.
It works great for open circuit diving. It isn't ideal for rebreathers, but it does work with some additional steps.
If you are looking for an ultrafill, I have about 20 of them I could sell.

Are you talking about Argon remaining in the output?
Yes. Not an issue with OC. But requires frequent loop flushes on CC.

You need some guide definitions before embarking down this route. The main route path is
Medical Oxygen, Aviators Oxygen and Divers Oxygen the three distinct classifications for Breathing Oxygen.

There are also other sub classifications of Breathing Oxygen by application such as for Medical Hyperbaric Chambers. Diving Chambers under PVHO for example Pressure Vessel Human Occupancy and for Saturation Chambers and Diving Bells with specifications that come under a number of classification authorities sure as Lloyds Rules and Regulations for Submersibles and Diving Systems Det Norsk Veritas DNV etc

Now by contrast the off the scale suggestion here in the forum is way under the standards required and the suggestion of using what is basically an ambulatory oxygen generator that at best (when new) will provide around 90% to 93% Oxygen in N2 Argon and that will over time degrade further down to the 80% range is IMHO frankly ill advised..

You can also see the consideration suggested earlier that in a closed loop when 20% by volume of the breathing bag would be by definition become hypoxic in closed circuit and frankly foolish in open circuit.

Breathing Ambulatory Oxygen sitting in bed at a ripe old age while waiting to meet your maker is one thing.

Hooking it up to a scuba tank for a cheap fill on the side for you and your mates is by contrast Darwinian.

Others my disagree.

Thanks for explanation iain/hsm . I came to conclusion that for rebreathers I won't be using concentrators. For open circuit it's not really an issue as we don't practice diving with nitrox due to the nature of surrounding bathymetry. Therefore I think we can close this topic of mine with conclusion that there are more cons than pros to use a device that produces too much 'Ar' in the mix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom