Oxycheq Mach V extreme series - weight and packability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder whether the Oxycheq ultralite backplate and speed harness can be used with the Hollis S or Dive Rite Voyager single tank wing.

The 11" spacing is pretty standard so it should be fine. However, I dislike really soft wings as they tend to taco around the tank which is one of the reasons I sold off my H eclipse wings. I much prefer the smaller and firmer wings of oxycheq.

The 11" spacing is pretty standard so it should be fine. However, I dislike really soft wings as they tend to taco around the tank which is one of the reasons I sold off my H eclipse wings. I much prefer the smaller and firmer wings of oxycheq.
Excuse my ignorance, but what does "taco around the tank" mean?

Excuse my ignorance, but what does "taco around the tank" mean?

taco.jpg

In this photo you can clearly see how the wing wraps around the tank like a taco, soft, wide wings will tend to taco more making proper trim and balance more difficult compared to smaller shaped wings like the mach v series.

I've used dive rite, halcyon, oms, dss and oxycheq wings so far the smaller profile wings like the Torus and mach V are my favorites as they trim and balance much easier.

... My recommendation would be to check if the Hollis wing can be folded. Besides being less expensive it has a built in STA that can be removed. If it can be folded and/or rolled that wing with a fabric Oxycheq plate would be the best you could get for travel.
Does someone know the dry weight of the Hollis S38 wing? Can it be folded and packed easily?

Last edited:
I use the mach v 30# with their ultralite plate, a transplate harness (with smb, muck stick, small flashlight attached, etc) and all my diving is outside the US with weight restrictions. I don't roll my wing, I put it in a pillowcase and pack it in the middle of my bag.

Am packed and leaving for the airport tomorrow at 6 am to fly down to the caymans and my bag with all my gear, clothes, some paperbacks and food weighs in at just under 40lbs. All camera gear is in a carryon.

I use the mach v 30# with their ultralite plate, a transplate harness (with smb, muck stick, small flashlight attached, etc) and all my diving is outside the US with weight restrictions. I don't roll my wing, I put it in a pillowcase and pack it in the middle of my bag.
So, when emptied, the bladder can be made flat enough to put in a backpack, between the shirts, the sweater and the pants?

I tried this out last night on my small tatonka barrel 45l bag:

Jetfins size L 1 pair/spring straps
30lbs mach v extreme wing
oms back plate and hog harness
2 cam bands with travel sta
3mm wetsuit
5mm booties size 9
smb/reel
mask w box
dive comp, depth gauge and compass

With my 60L barrel bag it would all fit with room to spare.

It was a tight squeeze but I got all in it.

I tried this out last night on my small tatonka barrel 45l bag:

Jetfins size L 1 pair/spring straps
30lbs mach v extreme wing
oms back plate and hog harness
2 cam bands with travel sta
3mm wetsuit
5mm booties size 9
smb/reel
mask w box
dive comp, depth gauge and compass

With my 60L barrel bag it would all fit with room to spare.

It was a tight squeeze but I got all in it.

Yeah, but is it under the weight limit of 50 pounds?

I do not fold my 18 pound Oxy with Ultralight plate, I lay it on the bottom of my roller bag fully assembled, my mask goes in the center cavity of the donut, my regulator bag with computer and compass goes at the top (head) of the bag, light, sausage, spool etc. at the bottom of the bag, Jets/Quattros in the side pocket for fins, wetsuit, towels, rash guard etc on top of everything else. I usually also carry a backpack style lightweight mesh bag for use on the boat. I do not use the roller bag on the boat. This all is usually about 46 pounds including the roller bag. On the return, you can count on the 46 pounds becoming 50.5 pounds with no additions. I carry-on my camera rig and computer.

N

Yeah, but is it under the weight limit of 50 pounds?

I do not fold my 18 pound Oxy with Ultralight plate, I lay it on the bottom of my roller bag fully assembled, my mask goes in the center cavity of the donut, my regulator bag with computer and compass goes at the top (head) of the bag, light, sausage, spool etc. at the bottom of the bag, Jets/Quattros in the side pocket for fins, wetsuit, towels, rash guard etc on top of everything else. I usually also carry a backpack style lightweight mesh bag for use on the boat. I do not use the roller bag on the boat. This all is usually about 46 pounds including the roller bag. On the return, you can count on the 46 pounds becoming 50.5 pounds with no additions. I carry-on my camera rig and computer.

N

I'm pretty sure it's way below that. On a recent trip back from thailand with a full set of dive gear an extra bp/w for a fren, an extra dozen pairs shorts/tees worth of extra shopping even with a heavy Stahlsac Jamican roller bag I was still under 50 lbs.

With this setup I'm sure the total weight is around 10- 12kgs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom