Oxycheque Mach V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove a C80 for a while, for that very reason... seemed to trim better (has a thicker bottom). Problem was getting a consistent 3300psi fill... (Switched to HP 100s... at least, at 3000psi, I still get 89 cu.ft.!). Got rid of the trim weights altogether...

Yep, that sounds like a plan but I think the OP is talking about rental tanks and most of the time like it or not the ubiquitous aluminum 80 is the rental tank of choice by default for most all of the world's divers.

N

Yep, that sounds like a plan but I think the OP is talking about rental tanks and most of the time like it or not the ubiquitous aluminum 80 is the rental tank of choice by default for most all of the world's divers.

N
Sadly, you're right - even if I don't understand it.

A steel 80 would give dive ops a more robust tank, with a longer serviceable life, better buoyancy characteristics, a full 80cu.ft. (as opposed to 77 with an AL80), and would pay for the added initial expense in longevity...

Am I missing something?

I understand it completely, aluminum 80s are maintenance free and steel tanks in saltwater inevitably rust and require constant tumbling. Obviously you have never worked in a dive shop as the new guy and had to tumble tanks :wink: . Steel tanks are great in freshwater and cold water to eliminate weight, in warm water I would just as soon have an aluminum 80. But preference aside, aluminum 80s are usually what you get, you have no real choice. I have on occasion found steels for rental but it is rare.

N

I understand it completely, aluminum 80s are maintenance free and steel tanks in saltwater inevitably rust and require constant tumbling. Obviously you have never worked in a dive shop as the new guy and had to tumble tanks :wink: . Steel tanks are great in freshwater and cold water to eliminate weight, in warm water I would just as soon have an aluminum 80. But preference aside, aluminum 80s are usually what you get, you have no real choice. I have on occasion found steels for rental but it is rare.

N
Again, you're right, I've never tumbled tanks, and I would rarely, if ever, take my own tanks on an extended trip, which means AL80s.

Good point on the maintenance. Taking pristine care of just a couple of tanks is a different world than overseeing a couple hundred.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom