Oxygen and narcosis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WarmWaterDiver:
Monkseal,

If it's 50/50, such as I posted, how do you know the inert gas is first or second???

How does that possibly matter for 50/50 in my post?

And, the point of my post was to use two gases neither of which contain He, unlike what Lamont suggested, to take the He effects out of the picture.

I'm still at a loss . . .
Ok, padiscubapro cleared your post to me.

padiscubapro:
Not to be sarcastic but do some reading..
I don't take it as sarcastic - I think that's right recomendation.

padiscubapro:
Oxygen is not the most imporatant to many folks its the inert thats inportant since it defines what your decompression schedule is required..
Well, I would always be more concerned about oxtox than missing few minutes od deco. For diving I do it's not so much difference.

padiscubapro:
Read some commercial manuals, or better or even the US navy manual (its available free online)
Some knowledge can have only theoretical value for me because I'm neither comercial nor military diver (and I'm not going to be either). The procedures they use simply can't be achieved in recreational environment.

padiscubapro:
Oxygen first is NOT a standard in the DIVING industry, just by many in the recreational world (meaning non commercial, non military)
Recreational world is majority in diving and if something is adopted in that comunity it's hard to promote other standards. It's similar like metric and imperial units for US. Metric is adopted in scientific comunity but it's not used by ordinary people.

padiscubapro:
But still hm saying 50/50 has no basis to assume its a helium mix..all it says is that there are 2 gases 50% each,
Back to the subject :wink: If someone who's not involved in mix diving look at 50/50 he'll probably say the same. But if you ask somebody who is, I'm sure that he'll think about Tx. Just take a look on widely used deco softwares.

Well, you're the only one so far Monkseal - lots of folks who do mix diving are on this thread. All you have to do is look at the posters on the thread, no need to look at deco software to see if someone's a mix diver.

So why only you is still the question. It isn't because any sort of majority interpret things your way.

MonkSeal:
Recreational world is majority in diving and if something is adopted in that comunity it's hard to promote other standards. It's similar like metric and imperial units for US. Metric is adopted in scientific comunity but it's not used by ordinary people.

Here is a link to an old doc that explains some of the naming and history of Nitrox

http://www.gasdiving.co.uk/pages/misc/Nitrox.htm#3

MonkSeal:

Well, as someone who lives in the US I can educate you that we don't use the Imperial system, we use the US system - such as the US gallon, US barrel of petroleum, etc. I have never seen fuel pumps calibrated in Imperial Gallons in use in the US, and there is no such measure as the Imperial Barrel of petroleum.

And your assumption the global scientific community uses the metric system solely is unsound. I am a member of such community and we refine US barrels of oil into US barrels (or US gallons, take your pick) of products - except for petroleum coke and sulfur - those are traded in tons.

Why don't you ask the Canadians why they want dive gauges that are a mix of metric & non-metric units?

I guess from your perspective anyone who uses seconds for time measurement in the US isn't an ordinary person then - the SI system for time is based on the second.

second (s) time
"The second is the duration of 9 192 631 770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the cesium 133 atom."

Ever heard of the US atomic clock? We have.

And I buy light bulbs that are rated in watts, and I pay my electric power bill based on kilowatt hours the power company bills me for. It's really common here, along with volts and amps associated with electric power.

Lots of folks on diets talk about calories here in the US. I haven't heard non-US folks talk about joules associated with their food intake where I've traveled. And every food item nutrition label I see in the US lists calories and grams or fractions thereof - even the carb-concious use grams - is your vision of the "ordinary person" in the US someone who never reads a food item nutrition label?

You have lots of research potential available on things besides diving. Broadening is helpful. Firsthand knowledge is generally more accurate than extrapolation.

WarmWaterDiver:
MonkSeal:
Well, as someone who lives in the US I can educate you that we don't use the Imperial system, we use the US system - such as the US gallon, US barrel of petroleum, etc. etc. etc.
I really see no point in your post. Oh, you forget to explain me recent policital situation. C'mon ... It's a diving forum.

Ever heard of the US atomic clock? We have.
Really? Good for you.

And I buy light bulbs that are rated in watts, and I pay my electric power bill based on kilowatt hours the power company bills me for. It's really common here, along with volts and amps associated with electric power.
And you have the oportunity to pay electric power bill because Nikola Tesla (btw from Croatia) had invented Alternating Current (as a member of scientific comunity you know that). Don't tell me he had done it in US and don't give me a list of US scientists' contribution to global knowledge because I'm aware of it. And that was no my point when refereing to Tesla. My point was that this was no place for lectureing; this is a diving discussion forum.

...is your vision of the "ordinary person" in the US someone who never reads a food item nutrition label?
Try to re-read my post and you'll find no assumption especialy about habits and knowledge of US "ordinary person". I was refering to inches and feet vs meters, cfts vs litres etc. And you know that. But for some unknown reason you're trying to twist my words and fight about subject that you've been invented.

You have lots of research potential available on things besides diving.
Again, it's a diving forum.

Firsthand knowledge is generally more accurate than extrapolation.
Luckily, I have some firsthand knowledge about US; only good experiences.

BTW I don't intend to discuss further.

WarmWaterDiver:
Well, you're the only one so far Monkseal - lots of folks who do mix diving are on this thread. All you have to do is look at the posters on the thread, no need to look at deco software to see if someone's a mix diver.

So why only you is still the question. It isn't because any sort of majority interpret things your way.
Oh, really? You haven't done your reading homework again.

Let me refere to the point where I involved. Here's the post (page 4, post #35 of this thread):

lamont:
just do a gas switch from 30/30 to EAN50 at 70 fsw and come to your own conclusions...

WarmWaterDiver:
Why not switch from air to 50/50 at 60 fsw and take the He effect out of the study? Especially if this is during an ascent from a deeper depth where air was also used at the deeper (than 60 fsw) depth?

After lamont pointed to switch from 30/30 (30% Oxygen, 30% Helium + rest of Nitrogen) to EAN50 (50% Oxygen + rest of Nitrogen), you reffered to his post explaining switch from air to 50/50. So what was I supose to think. Of course, that you were reffering to the same thing as lamont.

StSomewhere:
Tesla *discovered* alternating current, you can't *invent* what exists in nature. :)
Thanks. I have to improve my English. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom