Rebreather Checklists iOS App: Diver Tools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I mentioned this app in a recent thread about rebreather diving checklists, but that thread was about checklists in general and sharing updates there would have been off topic. This week I've rolled up an update that adds support for capture Shearwater cell mv readings from the camera, updates to packing lists and additional protection against errant button pushes, and thought I should share in a unique post.

When I started rebreather diving, I re-committed to my promise to dive as safely as possible and not let my own errors cause my demise. It is clear that checklists are important, but the stock checklists aren't ideal for long, for several reasons:
  • They include build steps which aren't required or don't apply after you customize your unit, and an incorrect assembly would be caught by a later checklist item. IE, if you forget to install the loop, you won't hold a positive.
  • They are paper, so you have to bring a pen or pencil and some extras to your dive site, and hope it's not raining
  • They are quite large
Usually, manufacturers give you a shorter pre-dive essentials type checklist, which is also not sufficient for all cases:
  • Doesn't contain the full list of check items
  • Not written down, no record you completed the list and harder to see if you skipped something
Neither of those will help with the mathematical calculations required for PO2, END, gas density, ICD, or cell linearity, nor do they record history of any thing like previous values. And, they don't have a timer, so you are left counting your negative, positive and pre-breathes in your head, singing the happy birthday song sufficient times, or finding the timer on your watch.

My first solution was a custom checklist cut down to a quarter sheet of paper, so I could easily carry spares, along with using a page from my divebhb.com website to hold calculators. But I still managed to arrive to sites without a pen; sheets were ruined by rain or wet dive gear; and many dive sites lacked internet access.

So I began a side project of replicating my checklists and calculators in a dedicated iOS app which doesn't require internet access. Along the way, I got input from various dive buddy's and started to see how the application could be made customizable for their units and their preferences. The end result is an application that now have listed for sale in the Apple app store, Diver Tools. iOS App Store Link: Diver Tools

This app does a lot of things, but I'll start by listing the Rebreather Checklist functions

For Oxygen, it asks you to confirm if your tanks are full and have been analyzed. It doesn't require an input pressure or analyzer values, because I've found that many of us dive with tanks which are obnoxiously oversized for our dives, so it's a simple yes/no. It has the option for both onboard and off board, or in settings you can turn off the off board o2 display.

For Diluent, you can input the pressure and analyzer values for up to 2 diluent bottles. (The app roadmap includes adding tank size to eventually calculate your bailout compared to dive plans) you can turn off the second diluent bottle display in settings if you normally only dive with 1 diluent, and you can set it so diluent 1 is for inflation only so it doesn't alarm you about your PO2, END, density and ICD. Yes, the application compares the PO2, END, gas density and ICD values against limits that you set. I want a 1.0 bottom PO2 on my dil, maybe you want a 1.2. Just change the limit in settings.

For Bailout, similarly it lets you track up to 2 bottles, pressure and analyzer, and it calculates your po2, END, density and ICD. In this section, you enter your dive planned depth in feet as well as what depth you want to plan for your second bailout to start being used. And similarly, if you only use one bailout, you can turn off the second bailout in settings.

For your cells, you can input the mv in air and in oxygen for it to calculate linearity. If you use a Shearwater controller, you can add the readings by camera. You put the target depth confirmation po2 in settings, such as 1.4, so you can check on deco if your cells are still responding linearily at your 20' deco stop after a dive. This lets you see if your cells are starting to be exhausted. Then, you can historical details. Cell install date, and you set your age limit in days in settings, to be warned about cells that are out of date. Air and oxygen mv at time of install, and up to 4 additional historical points so you can see if a cell is getting less and less linear, or is still linear but experiencing faster than expected voltage drop. Diving daily? You choose when to add a data point to the history, so you can just add the details once a week or month if desired.

Then getting to the actual checklist!
External and internal cell voltages, compared against your preferred voltage limits
A check for your HUD matching handset displayed values.
Then you have 16 checklist items that you can customize. The app comes with my personal checklist installed, but you can overwrite it in Settings, and your settings are persistent so you never have to see my checklist again :) Day to day, the checklist is just a list of values where you mark off that they are completed, and of course a button to easily erase the list so you can start from scratch. But otherwise, your settings stay in the app so even if you close the phone and re-open, you pick up where you left off.

Almost finally, there is a button for your negative, positive and rebreather timers. It counts down based on the number of seconds you input in settings. For example, 30 second negative, but if you want to do a 120 second negative, just update the value in settings.

There is one more new feature which is being a second opt in, for theoretical sorb capacity calculations.
You input kg of sorb and how much l of co2 your sorb holds per kg, along with selecting an RMV of liters per minute, and your RER value of choice, along with o2 bottle size and pressure. On a dive by dive basis, you input how many minutes you were diving and how much o2 you consume, and this calculates from a minutes standpoint and from a l of co2 standpoint, how much of your scrubber you have used and how much is theoretically remaining. Did I say the word theoretical enough? As a trained rebreather diver, you should know that your actual RER may change on a dive by dive basis and is influenced by many factors including what you just ate; and scrubber capacity can be changed in a materially significant way by under packing by even 1%, but this can still help you perform calculations as a sanity check.

The rebreather checklist isn't the only feature in the application.
It also includes
Fill Calculator: Input your starting pressure and mix and target pressure and mix, and the app tells you what to add.
In settings, you choose whether the helium is coming from a pure HE tank or a banked mix, and the app updates accordingly. Similarly you select the top off oxygen percentage so it can be air or nitrox. Input the prices of each gas and the tax rate and it'll spit out the cost of each stage along with the total, and at each step it tells you how much gas to add, the ending pressure of that stage, the current mix if you want to analyze at each stage, as well.

Banked Mix Modeler: Say you are standing there at Amigo's Scuba in Fort White Fl and you have the options of topping your tanks with various banks. You are ok with a range of ending mixes and you want to see what will happen if you fill with a mix of two different banks, like 10/65 and 32%. Enter the starting point, the mix of each bank, and how much gas you add from each bank and it tells you how much gas you moved, how much you should owe, and the ending mix in your tanks.

Both gas mixing applications use ideal gas laws without any Z Factors and as usual, confirming the final mix is 100% up to you, you should never trust an application over your own analyzer given the various inputs of temperature, gauge precision, fill rates, and whether you think trimix tanks needs to be rolled or not.

Basic Bailout Planning: This is a sanity check, where you input your cubic feet of bailout gas and swim speed and it lets you know based on simple math, roughly what your turn time or penetration feet should be. Of course, just to supplement your plan.

Packing Lists: I don't know if you are like me and my buddies...once, I forgot a weight belt and dove with rocks stuffed in my BC pockets (long, long ago). I've got a buddy who has forgotten a swimsuit on more than one occasion. So there are 2 trip packing checklists where you can enter up to 30 items and check off whether they are packed or not. It's super simple, but I don't know how I lived without this. In fact, I have a sister application named List Genius which only offers this functionality, and I use it on a daily basis to make sure I have packed for a beach trip or purchased all the items on my hardware store shopping list.

This app has helped me and my friends to dive more easily and more safely. It has grown organically over the past year based on a steady stream of user input. You can easily supply feedback about the ease of use, desired new functionality, and if found, any bugs, directly in the app. The email function is the only piece that requires internet to function. Unfortunately for Android users, it's iOS only for now and for the foreseeable future, but it will run on any device that supports iOS16. I believe that is iPhone 8 and above.

Using the app and want to share your checklist values and limits? Take a screenshot and share! Please include details about what unit you are diving, and whether it's OW or caves. I am looking forward to seeing how you are able to use the customization features differently than I am!

Best,
JJW

Attachments

• screenshot1.jpeg
    screenshot1.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 144
  • screenshot8.jpeg
    screenshot8.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 132
  • screenshot2.jpeg
    screenshot2.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 129
  • screenshot3.jpeg
    screenshot3.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 124
  • screenshot4.jpeg
    screenshot4.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 126
Would love to take your app for a spin, alas I am on Android. Have been on the verge of making the change to Apple. Perhaps feedback from your app will push me over the edge :D

Been hoping for something like this that's configurable to my OEM checklist. I'll have to give it a try.

I toyed around with the app. Ended up going back to pen and paper (ok technically fillable PDFs) with our customized expanded checklists. We save the sheets and then log all our cell values in excel currently, which is why I was hopeful for the app. I'm sure the user story makes sense for you, but never could really establish a flow for using the app. Also it's lacking 2-3 O2 cell slots lol (I dive with the factory stock 5 cell configuration, but know plenty of rEvo divers that go with 6). I think the app will be excellent for some, but just not for me.

Thanks for the honest feedback azstinger11! Even if you decide not to go back to the app, I'd really appreciate some more nuanced feedback, which you can share here, or by message, and I'll see what I can do to make updates accordingly. I guarantee there are others who had the same thought but didn't share the feedback, and I want this app to be great.

User Flow is important, and difficult to get "right" for all users as I know some people assemble their units in different order or stages. That said, any input you can give about what sections didn't mesh with your flow, or how you wish things were ordered, is greatly appreciated so I can see what might be changed or made more customizable in future releases.

For the cell history, are you storing them in Excel on a local file, or something like Sharepoint which you access on your phone at the dive site, or maybe even Google Sheets? I would like to incorporate the ability to export data, but in addition to the file format, getting it so it is easy to append the export into the end of an existing file, that part may be outside the purview of the app... Another way to work with that would be storing more cell history data within the app itself. Can you also let me know any other data you are capturing other than date and mv in air and o2? When you change a cell out, do you delete the old cell's history, or store that as well? Do you make a graph with the numbers or just store the raw data?

Regarding the cell count, that is much easier to update! No promises on timeline but I will add this to the app as soon as I can, an option for 3, 5 or 6 cells. If anyone else reading this has input on some other cell count, now is a great time to ask. I know that many production units use 4 cells, but the 4th cell is just tied to the HUD and you can't see the MV readings, so I omitted that. On the Revo, you can see MV for all 5 or 6 cells? By any chance, could you share a picture of the handset screen showing all of the cell mv readings so I can also try to program in the regex to grab the cell mv readings from the camera?

For saving the sheets, do you prefer the .pdf format? I've considered other options such as a screenshot tool or an email to send the checklist values to a loved one or to yourself, so I'm interested for your input there as well.

Thanks for the honest feedback azstinger11! Even if you decide not to go back to the app, I'd really appreciate some more nuanced feedback, which you can share here, or by message, and I'll see what I can do to make updates accordingly. I guarantee there are others who had the same thought but didn't share the feedback, and I want this app to be great.

User Flow is important, and difficult to get "right" for all users as I know some people assemble their units in different order or stages. That said, any input you can give about what sections didn't mesh with your flow, or how you wish things were ordered, is greatly appreciated so I can see what might be changed or made more customizable in future releases.

For the cell history, are you storing them in Excel on a local file, or something like Sharepoint which you access on your phone at the dive site, or maybe even Google Sheets? I would like to incorporate the ability to export data, but in addition to the file format, getting it so it is easy to append the export into the end of an existing file, that part may be outside the purview of the app... Another way to work with that would be storing more cell history data within the app itself. Can you also let me know any other data you are capturing other than date and mv in air and o2? When you change a cell out, do you delete the old cell's history, or store that as well? Do you make a graph with the numbers or just store the raw data?

Regarding the cell count, that is much easier to update! No promises on timeline but I will add this to the app as soon as I can, an option for 3, 5 or 6 cells. If anyone else reading this has input on some other cell count, now is a great time to ask. I know that many production units use 4 cells, but the 4th cell is just tied to the HUD and you can't see the MV readings, so I omitted that. On the Revo, you can see MV for all 5 or 6 cells? By any chance, could you share a picture of the handset screen showing all of the cell mv readings so I can also try to program in the regex to grab the cell mv readings from the camera?

For saving the sheets, do you prefer the .pdf format? I've considered other options such as a screenshot tool or an email to send the checklist values to a loved one or to yourself, so I'm interested for your input there as well.
Some of this I'll answer here but I'll also follow up in a message with some other details. As for the cell readout, cells 4,5,6 are displayed on a NERD 2 (for me) so the readout looks similar as a petral. rEvos can come with something called rEvoDreams that do show PPO2, I'm unsure about mv, I would assume so?

For the cell values it's excel synched through onedrive (with always available offline enabled). It's mostly the calibration reading buy also install date, manufacturer, batch/serial. Been toying around with a python script to look at the values downloaded from shearwater and see if cells are lagging but been on the backburned for a bit now.

For saving the sheets, it's just more of a record. Just in case I want to look back. See if I noted anything. So format isn't that important.

New update being pushed out now, addresses some of the feedback received so far.
Now, in settings you can set whether you want to track 3, 4, 5 or 6 cells. When adding the cells installation date and o2/air mv readings at install, you can also select to see additional details and store the vendor/supplier and the batch/lot code.

And, you can choose how to re-order different "sections." By default, they are organized how I have them, but once you override the order, they stay the way you set them. I've set it up to allow up to 2 sections to be repeated, and you can also choose not to display some sections at all if you wanted to.

There is another subtle change, buttons now give haptic feedback.

Looking forward to more reviews in the App Store, and feedback on additional features or functions or tweaks to existing functionality!

Attachments

• Simulator Screenshot - iPhone 14 Pro - 2023-07-25 at 21.01.07.png
    Simulator Screenshot - iPhone 14 Pro - 2023-07-25 at 21.01.07.png
    144.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Simulator Screenshot - iPhone 14 Pro - 2023-07-25 at 21.01.17.png
    Simulator Screenshot - iPhone 14 Pro - 2023-07-25 at 21.01.17.png
    162.7 KB · Views: 119
Hi,
I did use your tool and I find it very good. The only big limitation for me (and other EU people) is maybe the absence of metric conversion. With this option I am sure it will serve many other divers.
Would that be a possibility, maybe for next update?
Thank you.

Downloaded the app, you misspelled guaranteed in the opening safety acknowledgment.

Back
Top Bottom