**Split Fins – Let the Bashing Begin!**

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In an effort to provide a thread where split fins can be bashed while still staying on-topic I have started this thread.

Split Fins:
  • Loved by those who use them and despised by those who don’t.
  • Claimed to be faster and easier to use by those who actually use them and won’t work in current by those who don’t.
  • Voted the divers choice in several Scuba Magazine tests by those charged with testing them and those same tests are discredited by those who don’t use them.
  • Can only perform well in one style of kicking as told by those who don’t use them.
  • You are prevented from hovering or diving upside down when using splits.
  • They are not DIR compliant and no self respecting cave diver would be caught dead wearing them.
  • One of my favorite quotes: They allow people who don't have proper kicking technique to move by moving their feet, but without kicking.
  • With cause a silt out and makes a diver to rototill the bottom, where paddles prevent siltouts and prevent divers from doing any bottom gardening.
  • Will inevitably generate comparisons to propellers, marine life, birds and paddle wheeled boats.
  • We generate posts where engineering pedigrees are trotted out.
  • The US Navy does not use them so they must be un-American.
  • Will sgnerate personal bashing and squabbles in any thread that mentions them.
  • Split fins still out sell all other fins types.
Did I miss anything?

The "conspiracy" theory. Manufaturers rip off the public with bigger profit margins by selling broken fins and fins that are cheaper to produce. :rofl3:

I paid mre for my comvertable They tried to tell me without the roof structure additional bracing was required and it was a little tricky making a retractable top. Stupid me. More money for less car.

Not real divers, at least!!!

And, if the situation dictates that you MUST wear another color, only deep shades of blue are allowed - although you'll still be considered suspect.

Guess I went from a real diver to a fake one...turned in my (black)Turbo II & III's after 20+ years for some yeller splits last spring......damn, knew I was going backwards......:D

[*]The US Navy does not use them so they must be un-American.

Sorry, but your off on this one, the Navy doesn't endorse or deny use of any fins. Navy policy is clear that all fins work and the fins each person uses is purely personal preference. The Coast Guard and NOAA however doesn't use them, they chose to blame the death of 2 of their divers on the Split fins, post USGC Healy accident.

When my buddy and I were diving the U-869 on air with John Chatterton and Richie Kohler last year, my buddy's split fins silted the place up so bad that I couldn't find my Spare-Air. I got so nervous I mistakenly hit the "up elevator" lever on my SeaQuest i-3 BCD. Ordinarily, this would have sent me shooting to the surface, but fortunately some monofilament got tangled around my Air-2. When I cut the line with the 11" knife strapped to my calf, I mistakenly poked the purge valve in my HydrOptix mask. I tried to use my tank banger to get my buddy's attention, but by that time he had gotten one of his suicide clips tangled up in the retractor I use to attach my dry snorkle to the transmitter of my air-integrated wireless compass, which I bought on-line instead of at the LDS that I stopped supporting ever since I signed up for e-learning. I believe that was right about the time I had the regs I bought at Leisure Pro serviced at the local Jiffy-Lube but didn’t actually test them myself before going on a special “Storm Tracker” live-aboard trip that I signed up for because in addition to free nitrox they were offering a special "take Fish ID, get your IDC free" promotion. Unfortunately I missed that trip because of the systemic fungal infection I contracted when the Halcyon p-valve I installed myself in my cave-cut trilam dry suit failed while I was solo-diving for golf balls without a scooter. Which I only did for the money, ever since the captain of the boat I DM on started making me tip the passengers $10/tank on every charter that I work.

I'm writing a book about it...

Shallow Divers: The true story of two Americans who risked everything to solve the mystery of every "you're gonna die" cliche on ScubaBoard

Ironically, it seems that Gary Gentile is now claiming that I actually did not experience EVERY cliche myself, based on a series of interviews with the girlfriend of the brother of a guy I shared a room with on Spring Break in 1987 and is now threatening to expose the REAL story of how all the trouble started when Papa Bear kept radioing the Coast Guard to ask whether he could log pool dives as "real dives".

I will happily refute Gary's assertions in an on-line interview on ScubaBoard, wherein I will respond to any and all questions with "get a BP/W" while wearing my mask on my forehead.

PS - it's not the agency, it's the instructor!

When my buddy and I were diving the U-869 on air with John Chatterton and Richie Kohler last year, my buddy's split fins silted the place up so bad that I couldn't find my Spare-Air. I got so nervous I mistakenly hit the "up elevator" lever on my SeaQuest i-3 BCD. Ordinarily, this would have sent me shooting to the surface, but fortunately some monofilament got tangled around my Air-2. When I cut the line with the 11" knife strapped to my calf, I mistakenly poked the purge valve in my HydrOptix mask. I tried to use my tank banger to get my buddy's attention, but by that time he had gotten one of his suicide clips tangled up in the retractor I use to attach my dry snorkle to the transmitter of my air-integrated wireless compass, which I bought on-line instead of at the LDS that I stopped supporting ever since I signed up for e-learning. I believe that was right about the time I had the regs I bought at Leisure Pro serviced at the local Jiffy-Lube but didn’t actually test them myself before going on a special “Storm Tracker” live-aboard trip that I signed up for because in addition to free nitrox they were offering a special "take Fish ID, get your IDC free" promotion. Unfortunately I missed that trip because of the systemic fungal infection I contracted when the Halcyon p-valve I installed myself in my cave-cut trilam dry suit failed while I was solo-diving for golf balls without a scooter. Which I only did for the money, ever since the captain of the boat I DM on started making me tip the passengers $10/tank on every charter that I work.

Shallow Divers: The true story of two Americans who risked everything to solve the mystery of every "you're gonna die" cliche on ScubaBoard

Ironically, it seems that Gary Gentile is now claiming that I actually did not experience EVERY cliche myself, based on a series of interviews with the girlfriend of the brother of a guy I shared a room with on Spring Break in 1987 and is now threatening to expose the REAL story of how all the trouble started when Papa Bear kept radioing the Coast Guard to ask whether he could log pool dives as "real dives".

I will happily refute Gary's assertions in an on-line interview on ScubaBoard, wherein I will respond to any and all questions with "get a BP/W" while wearing my mask on my forehead.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: I AM SERIOUSLY CRYING I AM LAUGHING SO HARD!!

Thank you! You completely made my day! :D

Don't post drunk or stoned.

Let us get back to the original OP question.

Fresca on the key board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom