Exploring the idea of new fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’m romancing the idea to look into getting new fins.
I started with Mares Quattros many years ago when I started diving. I thought they were good because I had no experience with anything else. But then I grew weary of the “dead spot” that they have when the loose flap of rubber flips flops on the end if the fin as you change direction. I gifted them away to a friend who is getting into diving.
Since then I’ve adopted Jet fins, Turtle fins, and Picasso Freediving fins.
I’m not really a fin junky, I’ve managed to keep the fin collecting under control.
However, a few recent threads have sparked my interest in re-exploring fins to see what is out there.
I saw comments about how Jet fins are poor copies of some historic beauchat fins that were much better. Jets are currently my go to fin, but as mentioned they suck for long surface swims but seem to be good for frog kicking and some other techniques that I’ve played with. I just want to see if there is anything out there recently developed that might be better. I’m not into splits, in fact they are quite minimized at dive shops and seem to have run their course. I’ve tested them and they don’t cut it in my world. I’ve also tried Sea Wing Nova’s and they are strange to me. I dodn’t care for them. I tried Hollis F1’s and they sucked worse than almost anything I’ve ever used.
I have used freediving fins for scuba which give oodles of power if you need to get from point A to point B quickly. The problem is mine are full foot and trying to shore dive with them in neoprene socks is not realistic.
I guess I’m looking for a solid fin that is fairly long but not as long as freediving fins, that has an open heel, nice foot pocket for a mens size 13 (46 Eu),
Something produced now, not a vintage fin that is no longer made. Non vented perhaps. Lighter weight might be a good option, and something that channels water well.
Price I don’t care about as long as they work, but obviously not crazy expensive.
I thought of even buying a pair of open heel freediving fins and trimming them back, has anyone ever done this?
Some of the basic historical designs seemed perfect but nobody makes anything like that anymore.
I don’t want anything gimmicky either with weird hinges, bands, etc. just solid basic well designed fins that work well for flutter kicks and long surface swims.

It's too bad there is not an easy way to try different fins, fin rental with a large selection of popular brands and styles. Perhaps you could apply the rental cost to purchase.

I used Scuba Pro Jet Fins for quite a while and then switched to Mares Quattros. I took a chance and bought a pair of Dive Rite XTs when I found them on sale. They had earlier been recommended to me by a good diver who swore by them. I lucked out and found a very good fin for my diving. That must have been about a dozen years ago now the that's the only fin I've dived since. I do not do long surface swims. The XTs are pretty large and reasonably heavy. I keep telling myself I should buy a pair of Scuba Pro Go Sports to try out for travel, but have still not done so.

I did buy a pair of Pro Force Fins when they were inexpensive, with wide distribution. I never really got the hang of them and found them to not work very well for my commonly used frog kick

I still have the Jets, Quattros, and Force Fins, but have not dived any of them for many years. I do loan them out occasionally. Fortunately, my fin collection is pretty small, and I am happy with the fins I use.

Good luck with your fin search @Eric Sedletzky

I suppose to be the origin of your thoughts about Jetfins.
Just a bit of history, but someone more expert than me could kick in (@David Wilson ?). He provided already good zurvey of Beuchat Jetfins here:
When the first Jetfin appeared they were a real breakthrough. I was a child, they were expensive, and I could not afford them. Only at 18 y.o. I finally managed to buy them, and they were really fantastic: powerful, snappy and the foot pocket was very comfortable (with no socket, bare feet). I got the "short" version from Beuchat with full foot pocket and no strap:
Jetfins_Chaussantes.jpg

Note that Beuchat was also producing other three versions: one short, full pocket and with strap:
beuchat-3.jpg

One long, for free divers, named the Super Jetfin:
super-jetfin-6r-jpg.516195

and finally the model which later was licensed to Scubapro, with the closed half foot pocket, to be used with some sort of footwear:
BEUCHAT%20Jetfin.%20cinghiolo%201965.web_.jpg

Then Scubapro manufactured them, but with some variations. Here the one very similar to the Beuchat shown here above:

But they also made a longer version, more suitable for efficient flutter kicking:
scubapro-pinne-immersione-jet.jpg

Also the rubber quality changed significantly, some are rigid as hell, some are flexible and snappy, exactly as my original Beuchat ones.
Of course every diver has different legs and different kicking style and dives in different environments. So some of these Jetfins are more suitable than others.
I did own just two of them, the first shown here, and the first of the Scubapro versions. The Beuchat was far superior to the Scubapro one.
But others have got more flexible short and long fins from Scubapro. I suppose that the long ones, if made of good rubber, should be great, although a fin with full pocket always transmits more power than one with half pocket that needs to wear sockets or boots with a sole.

I had more or less the same requirements as @Eric Sedletzky: long, powerful, snappy, but with foot pocket usable with boots with a sole. I did find the solution in a pair of Cressi Rondine Gara, size 46, with replaceable blades, installing their "short" blades of medium stiffness (short is misleading, but Cressi makes much longer blades!):
Cressi-Sub-Rondine-Gara-Compione-Del-Mondo-Adult-Scuba.jpg

Unfortunately they are not anymore available...

Very Nice!
We went into a large chain dive store here in Miami to look and they had some in a plastic bag that looked like they were full of dried salt water. Sales guys was trying to tell me it was a factor coating LOL. I showed him the smaller size that looked nice and clean and he grumbled that people buy them, try them and return them ... c'mon guys, you could at least rinse them!!

I suppose they would get salt water on them anyway, but I was put off by the attempted ruse and didn't get 'em
Anyway, I would love to try some of those Jet Fins. Due to replacing my existing fins that have seen better days.

What is your most used and/or favorite kick? Is size and weight an issue for traveling? Do you care if they are positively or negatively buoyant?

@Eric Sedletzky For what it's worth I've liked the Hollis F2, which is a remake of my favorite fin ever - the APS Mantaray (RIP). Sounds like they might suit your requirements.

The spring strap cover is a bit slick on the inside, so just make sure your booties have something for them to grab on to.

Hope that's helpful,
Derek

Always wondered why SP introduced the hole at the end of the Jet fin? Continued it with their old and new Novas. I actually asked Rhys Couzyn (designer of the Seawing Nova) about it at DEMA a few years ago. He fudged an unsatisfying BS answer. I reckon that it’s just a hole to hook them on the wall. :clown:

I am going to order and try these new fins from Scubapro as soon as I can. I have heard excellent reviews from people who have tried them:

Scubapro Seawing Supernova Fin

How about these:
with these:

Actually, it looks like you can order them as a set, and just choose the foot pocket type here:

I might have to seriously look at those myself.... they are short enough to fit in regular luggage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom