Scubapro Jet Fins open heel too large

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After getting tec certified and switching over to jetfins for both rec and tec (and having lots of dives on my jet fins), I noticed that because of the open heel, I'm unable to generate maximum amount of thrust through my heel (think of doing a squat, where you drive the force through your heel). If the fins had the platform extended to be under my heel, I could leverage that for more force and probably better control overall. I noticed that if I'm finning hard (usually frog kick), then my calves get tired out easily <- would be so much better if I could drive my force through my heel rather than the forward part of my foot.

Are there any jet fin style negative buoyancy fins out there with deeper foot pockets to allow your heel to be used?

Yeah, coming up to SIXTY years, of having a stupid fin design, flopping around on the end of your foot
Thing is, tech divers don't know any better, don't go anywhere further than the frog kick will take them
So don't need leverage anyway the jet is too hard to push so basically acts as a counterbalance for trim

Definitely not for agile sports divers with normal sized feet

The Scubapor Gorilla is one with longer pockets, that can push twins good, if you have the leg strength

But they are not heavy black nor cool LOOKING like the jet

I think it time to put the Jet to bed. The Go-Sport is everything the Jet is and never was. But, for colder water divers who need or want negative fins maybe Scubapro could come out with a third model of Go-Sport, Go-Sport Tech and make them out of the heavy rubber same as the Jet is now.

Out of curiosity why are you driving with your heel and not your big toe?

*context, I have Jetfins but like my RK3’s more

Out of curiosity why are you driving with your heel and not your big toe?

*context, I have Jetfins but like my RK3’s more
Normally drive with my front of my foot, but when confronted with strong currents, I’d be able to generate more power (naturally) from driving through my heels. Same concept with doing squats.

Normally drive with my front of my foot, but when confronted with strong currents, I’d be able to generate more power (naturally) from driving through my heels. Same concept with doing squats.

I have to say I’m not following this.

I have two conflicting prejudices here. First of all, I dive Jets, both extra large and 2xl. I have very high arches, so the foot pocket can be punishing. But with the right shoes underneath, I find them to work extremely well, especially with a dry suit.

Second, I think squats are probably the best exercise that you can do: they work most everything from your neck to your heels, all at once. So any fins that allows me to make my squat-strengthened legs more effective gets my vote. So I’m very intrigued.

But I have no idea what you mean about finning through your toes versus finning through your heels. Nor can I figure out how the foot pocket not being *longer* prevents this from happening. I would love to hear more details.

In the interim, I’m going to make an assumption: the problem is not the fins, it’s the boots.

The foot pocket really only has one job: hold the fin to your foot. If the fin doesn’t slip off, the pocket has done its job.

I wear a size 12 1/2 US Men. Even the smaller of my jet fins fit over about half of my foot. If they went too much farther, it would only make the foot pocket problems worse, because it would come up higher on my arches. And in the end, it couldn’t go that much farther on anyway, because my ankle would be in the way!

In the end, it’s not the responsibility of the fin foot pocket to determine what happens with your foot. It’s the responsibility of whatever shoe-like object you’re wearing between your foot and the fin.

Now, if you’re wearing some completely soft and flexible water shoe that they might call a “boot”, well, your foot is going to be able to flex all over the place. And you’ll have to use a great deal of foot muscle power to stabilize your foot – something it is not inclined to do. But that’s not the fault of the fin. That’s the fault of the shoe.

After all, my understanding is jet fins were originally designed to be worn with combat boots. You’re not going to get any foot flex in that case.

I just recently decided to use Converse All-Stars as my boots along with the neoprene socks on the end of my dry suit. That is what forced me to have to go up to the 2XL jets. And it’s not like those shoes have some ultra stiff sole. But it is certainly plenty stiff enough. And that allows all of the support I need to be able to fin with tremendous force, either frog or flutter.

It’s no different than other similar applications. I ride a race bicycle. The soles of the shoes you wear with the clipless pedals on such a bike are literally plastic-rigid. And that is intentional: you want no flex in those shoes. You need to transfer maximum power from your legs through your feet into the cranks. If there’s any flex, you will rapidly fatigue the muscles in your feet and cause a great deal of pain. If you’re just riding around town on platform pedals, then yeah, you can get away with flip-flops or whatever. But not if you care about performance or endurance.

When you’re trying to apply lots of force for a long period of time, you need the right equipment – and *all* of the right equipment – to get the best application. That’s just as true in scuba.

So, that’s my unasked for and potentially misguided thoughts on scubapro jet fins and why so many people have problems with them. Of course, they’re not the right fins for everyone: like others have said, they’re quite negative and almost board stiff. They’re not at all forgiving for casual use. Like race bicycles with race shoes.

But when you want maximum performance pushed into the water for an extended period of time, they’re pretty hard to beat.

ETA: please don’t take this as me saying that you’ve done anything wrong, or that your opinion is wrong. It no doubt comes across as condescending and unasked for, probably because it is. :). But if you don’t like jet fins, then by all means don’t use them. I’m not trying to talk you into or out of anything. I just wanted to write some thoughts about what I have personally found often makes people blame their fins, no matter what brand, for failings of their boots. Makes a big difference when you have the right foot gear for the job. (I have the same problem with people complaining about how “uncomfortable” performance bicycles are. :) )

Jet fins have to be one of the most controversial fins ever.
From all historical accounts, they were a not so good copy of the Beuchat Jetfin (one word) which was a pretty good fin in Europe at the time.
I know freedivers from that era (they are very old now) who used and tried almost everything to gain an edge during freedive spearfishing competitions in the 60’s and 70’s. All of them hated the American Jet Fin copy and claimed they sucked. This was before long fins were available. Many of them stuck with Voit UDT Frog Feet as the go to fin.
So, when I got into diving the only people still using jets were some commercial urchin divers and maybe a small handfull of misguided old skindivers that never got the memo that Jets sucked.
They almost were taken off the market several times but the military used them because they are indestructible and because those young recruits are in super shape so they have no problems with them. Plus Scubapro agreed to develop an XXL at the time which could accommodate a size 15 combat boot for the Navy SEAL teams who storm beaches.
Anyway, the tech crowd are the ones who repopularized or maybe popularized for the first time the jet fin because as it turns out they are great for frog kicking. Frog kicking was not popular years ago, alternate leg from the hip kicking was what everyone did and that’s how you rated fins. I’ll admit Jets suck for alternate standard fin kicking. There are many other fins that work much better. Even in modern times there are other vented fins that work much better than jets for everything including frog, heli’s, and backing up. The new fin people have certainly done their homework!
AFAIC, Jets are by and large obsolete now with all the other far superior fin choices out there. Their foot pocket sucked then and it still sucks now.

I’ve used Jets for over 20 years and have recently decided that the Scubapro Go Sport is the best fin ever for regular fin kicks. However it’s a tad soft and will mush out when overpowered but they make the stiffer Gorilla version which will be my next fin.

Jet fins have to be one of the most controversial fins ever.
From all historical accounts, they were a not so good copy of the Beuchat Jetfin (one word) which was a pretty good fin in Europe at the time.
I know freedivers from that era (they are very old now) who used and tried almost everything to gain an edge during freedive spearfishing competitions in the 60’s and 70’s. All of them hated the American Jet Fin copy and claimed they sucked. This was before long fins were available. Many of them stuck with Voit UDT Frog Feet as the go to fin.
So, when I got into diving the only people still using jets were some commercial urchin divers and maybe a small handfull of misguided old skindivers that never got the memo that Jets sucked.
They almost were taken off the market several times but the military used them because they are indestructible and because those young recruits are in super shape so they have no problems with them. Plus Scubapro agreed to develop an XXL at the time which could accommodate a size 15 combat boot for the Navy SEAL teams who storm beaches.
Anyway, the tech crowd are the ones who repopularized or maybe popularized for the first time the jet fin because as it turns out they are great for frog kicking. Frog kicking was not popular years ago, alternate leg from the hip kicking was what everyone did and that’s how you rated fins. I’ll admit Jets suck for alternate standard fin kicking. There are many other fins that work much better. Even in modern times there are other vented fins that work much better than jets for everything including frog, heli’s, and backing up. The new fin people have certainly done their homework!
AFAIC, Jets are by and large obsolete now with all the other far superior fin choices out there. Their foot pocket sucked then and it still sucks now.

I’ve used Jets for over 20 years and have recently decided that the Scubapro Go Sport is the best fin ever for regular fin kicks. However it’s a tad soft and will mush out when overpowered but they make the stiffer Gorilla version which will be my next fin.
Love the fin history lesson here!

I have to say I’m not following this.

I have two conflicting prejudices here. First of all, I dive Jets, both extra large and 2xl. I have very high arches, so the foot pocket can be punishing. But with the right shoes underneath, I find them to work extremely well, especially with a dry suit.

Second, I think squats are probably the best exercise that you can do: they work most everything from your neck to your heels, all at once. So any fins that allows me to make my squat-strengthened legs more effective gets my vote. So I’m very intrigued.

But I have no idea what you mean about finning through your toes versus finning through your heels. Nor can I figure out how the foot pocket not being *longer* prevents this from happening. I would love to hear more details.

In the interim, I’m going to make an assumption: the problem is not the fins, it’s the boots.

The foot pocket really only has one job: hold the fin to your foot. If the fin doesn’t slip off, the pocket has done its job.

I wear a size 12 1/2 US Men. Even the smaller of my jet fins fit over about half of my foot. If they went too much farther, it would only make the foot pocket problems worse, because it would come up higher on my arches. And in the end, it couldn’t go that much farther on anyway, because my ankle would be in the way!

In the end, it’s not the responsibility of the fin foot pocket to determine what happens with your foot. It’s the responsibility of whatever shoe-like object you’re wearing between your foot and the fin.

Now, if you’re wearing some completely soft and flexible water shoe that they might call a “boot”, well, your foot is going to be able to flex all over the place. And you’ll have to use a great deal of foot muscle power to stabilize your foot – something it is not inclined to do. But that’s not the fault of the fin. That’s the fault of the shoe.

After all, my understanding is jet fins were originally designed to be worn with combat boots. You’re not going to get any foot flex in that case.

I just recently decided to use Converse All-Stars as my boots along with the neoprene socks on the end of my dry suit. That is what forced me to have to go up to the 2XL jets. And it’s not like those shoes have some ultra stiff sole. But it is certainly plenty stiff enough. And that allows all of the support I need to be able to fin with tremendous force, either frog or flutter.

It’s no different than other similar applications. I ride a race bicycle. The soles of the shoes you wear with the clipless pedals on such a bike are literally plastic-rigid. And that is intentional: you want no flex in those shoes. You need to transfer maximum power from your legs through your feet into the cranks. If there’s any flex, you will rapidly fatigue the muscles in your feet and cause a great deal of pain. If you’re just riding around town on platform pedals, then yeah, you can get away with flip-flops or whatever. But not if you care about performance or endurance.

When you’re trying to apply lots of force for a long period of time, you need the right equipment – and *all* of the right equipment – to get the best application. That’s just as true in scuba.

So, that’s my unasked for and potentially misguided thoughts on scubapro jet fins and why so many people have problems with them. Of course, they’re not the right fins for everyone: like others have said, they’re quite negative and almost board stiff. They’re not at all forgiving for casual use. Like race bicycles with race shoes.

But when you want maximum performance pushed into the water for an extended period of time, they’re pretty hard to beat.

ETA: please don’t take this as me saying that you’ve done anything wrong, or that your opinion is wrong. It no doubt comes across as condescending and unasked for, probably because it is. :). But if you don’t like jet fins, then by all means don’t use them. I’m not trying to talk you into or out of anything. I just wanted to write some thoughts about what I have personally found often makes people blame their fins, no matter what brand, for failings of their boots. Makes a big difference when you have the right foot gear for the job. (I have the same problem with people complaining about how “uncomfortable” performance bicycles are. :) )
Wow! You’re absolutely right…I dive in Caribbean waters with a 3mm neoprene bootie. Never even thought about how a shoe with a sole could allow me to drive w my heel. Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom