oxygen cleaning for nitrox (partial pressure) fills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark:
There are NO Luxfer scuba cylinders sold in the US with red border Warning Stickers. In the US, Luxfer sells scuba cylinders exclusively to Sea Pearls, XS Scuba and Peter Skop Industries. All three companies only purchase Luxfer cylinders that are cleaned for up to 100% oxygen and have green border Warning Stickers.

Mark Vlahos:
Does the Luxfer cylinder you bought have a GREEN or RED border around the Luxfer sticker?

If that sticker has a red border your cylinder IS NOT properly prepared for partial pressure Nitrox blending.

If that sticker has a green border your cylinder IS properly prepared for partial pressure Nitrox blending, unless the valve has been replaced with a valve that is not clean.

Your post says the cylinder is ready for 40%, is this based on information from Scuba Toys website, or the cylinder? If the two places provide contradictory information the cylinder is the one that matters.

As far as the big NITROX tank band, some shops do require them, some do not. I have not needed them in Florida or Southern California. Of course my experience is limited to the shops where I have gone to get fills, and not every shop in those areas. In Virginia I have needed the tank band. I don't really care that much about the whole tank band thing, I would rather not have one, but when they were required I had them.

Mark Vlahos

Frog:
Since you purchased from ScubaToys, you most likely purchased a Catalina Cylinder, not a Luxfer Cylinder.

All new Catalina scuba cylinders are OK for up to 23.5% oxygen, no more. From Catalina's website, Catalina Cylinders SCUBA cylinders, as-manufactured, are not specifically cleaned for oxygen service and therefore are under no circumstances to be charged with breathing air containing oxygen concentrations in excess of 23.5% (ref. CGA pamphlet G-7.1).

All new Luxfer Scuba cylinders are cleaned and tested at the factory for up to 100% oxygen (read the Warning Sticker attached to the cylinder).

I ready doubt any LDS was trying to F... you, most likely you're just misinformed.

froginmgl:
JUST YO LET YOU KNOW!I puchased a luxifer from Scuba Toys & it is nitrox up to 40% ready to go. I also called many dive shops to see if they would fill it. Some wanted to F.... me others didn't I am sick of LDS taking advantages of those who need their services. Just tell the truth! Maybe that way you would get more business. BY THE WAY THEY WILL WANT TO PUT THAT 6" NITROX STICKER ON YOUR TANK.

escalondiver:
Frog:
Since you purchased from ScubaToys, you most likely purchased a Catalina Cylinder, not a Luxfer Cylinder.

All new Catalina scuba cylinders are OK for up to 23.5% oxygen, no more. From Catalina's website, Catalina Cylinders SCUBA cylinders, as-manufactured, are not specifically cleaned for oxygen service and therefore are under no circumstances to be charged with breathing air containing oxygen concentrations in excess of 23.5% (ref. CGA pamphlet G-7.1).

All new Luxfer Scuba cylinders are cleaned and tested at the factory for up to 100% oxygen (read the Warning Sticker attached to the cylinder).

I ready doubt any LDS was trying to F... you, most likely you're just misinformed.

Funny the tank says luxfer and it has a green trimmed Warning lable And it has a visually inspected sticker on it from Scuba toys. Wonder why you got that info from Larry?

froginmgl:
Funny the tank says luxfer and it has a green trimmed Warning lable And it has a visually inspected sticker on it from Scuba toys. Wonder why you got that info from Larry?

OK, with the GREEN trimmed lable you should be fine for partial pressure fills, unless the sticker from ScubaToys indicates somthing different. I think at this point you should not rely on speculation from us here on ScubaBoard. You need to call ScubaToys on the telephone and talk to Larry. Have the cylinder in front of you and ask him directly if your cylinder is OK for partial pressure fills or not! This should end any guessing.

Mark Vlahos

Goody but I still am interested in escalondiver's conversation with Larry. All you have to do is go on there web and see they deal with Luxfer.

I used to fret over all this explosion stuff, and O2 cleaning, then I realized my LDS uses a membrane so I don't need to O2 clean anything. Just find an LDS that uses the membrane method and you'll be alot safer, and you won't need to worry about getting hosed over O2 cleaning

Went to a LDS they looked at the stickers on the cylinder I showed my nitrox card and they filled it and topped it off at 3200psi. for $8, Put the big 6" NITROX band $3 around it And I went diving. That's all that matters First dive of the year awsome with out having to rent a one.:D

Back
Top Bottom