Oxygen tank explosion injures one - Italy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
News articles often mistakenly call air tanks oxygen cylinders, but this sounds like a real O2 incident. Taggia seems to be in the northwest corner of the country: Taggia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From AGI.it - Diver injured when oxygen cylinder valve explodes
(AGI) Taggia - A 24-year-old diver was seriously injured when the valve of his oxygen cylinder exploded. The incident occurred at a wet dock in Taggia, in the province of Imperia.
The diver had just grabbed the cylinder, holding it from its taps, when the valve exploded. Fire fighters and the emergency services were the first to arrive on the scene and the man, who suffered chest and face injuries and lost some teeth, was rushed to the local hospital. The oxygen cylinder was eventually found some 150 metres from the place where the incident occurred. The Carabinieri and port authority staff were also called to the scene. Investigations are underway to determine the cause of the explosion and verify whether or not the incident is the result of negligence. . .

Curious, what part of the article made you think it might be accurately reffered to as O2. I didn't get any context to support that when I read it.

Curious, what part of the article made you think it might be accurately reffered to as O2. I didn't get any context to support that when I read it.

The part where the tank exploded and landed 150 meters from the location of the incident.
Sounds like a lot of force for just air and nothing combusting. Could be air though I suppose.

Sent from my Shearwater Predator...

Seems like news agencies don't know the differences between types of compressed gas cylinders

Seems like news agencies don't know the differences between types of compressed gas cylinders
That is very common. Astronauts do wear Oxygen tanks, and some divers use them for Deco, so news media often calls any Air tank Oxygen.

True. I guess i should have said lol, but whatever. It was poking fun at how people at news agencies don't have the knowledge to understand the difference

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom