p-valve hose routing and undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mje113

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Getting ready to try my first "dry-run" with the good ole p-valve. I was checking out the new FE Arctics, and they are promoting they are "Pee-valve ready"... which either looks like a zip on the thighs, or maybe a the two small slits in front neat the waist band. I just picked up the old style (good Black Friday discounts) and there doesn't seem to be either. So, how am I supposed to route the hose?

I'm guessing it goes up through the waistband and loops back down? Does anyone happen to have a simple diagram for how it's supposed to work?

Get a quick connect, do the up and over with the hose .

Don’t pee standing up out of the water.

Get a quick connect, do the up and over with the hose .
Ok makes sense, thankfully mine came with quick connect (Seaskin).

Don’t pee standing up out of the water.
Ok you're going to have to tell me why on this one and explain it like I'm 5. Is it just a gravity issue? To be honest I was considering donning all my gear and trying it out in the shower to make sure it all works and I understand the feeling. First "in-water" will be in class and I really don't want any surprises then.

Ya the hose routing makes a loop up toward your chest and your private parts points straight up. If there is a hole for the hose then great, otherwise most one pieces have dual zippers so you can unzip it from the bottom a bit and route the hose through that way.
Also i pee while standing in shallow water all the time, not sure why it’s a problem, if run some alcohol through the hose after each day of diving then it shouldn’t have any uti concerns…

It the dry suit version of peeing up a rope, in necessary back pressure.

You’ll usually be in a horizontal position when using it so go out and lay on the lawn and make a dead spot.

I don’t think seaskin will send a quick connect unless you buy it from them otherwise it’s just a valve that makes hook up rough.

Ya the hose routing makes a loop up toward your chest and your private parts points straight up. If there is a hole for the hose then great, otherwise most one pieces have dual zippers so you can unzip it from the bottom a bit and route the hose through that way.
Also i pee while standing in shallow water all the time, not sure why it’s a problem, if run some alcohol through the hose after each day of diving then it shouldn’t have any uti concerns…
Thanks, that makes sense. I'm bringing a few Steramine tablets.

I don’t think seaskin will send a quick connect unless you buy it from them otherwise it’s just a valve that makes hook up rough.
So I got the Apex P-valve and it came with this thing:

IMG_0612.jpeg

Which admittedly when I push on the grey think it kinda "quickly" disconnects:

IMG_0613.jpeg

Is that the right thing or am I missing more hardware?

That is a Colder (brand) quick disconnect. My Camelback uses the same disconnect, just in blue. You can buy them from McMaster and Amazon (pretty sure eBay as well). You can get them in either open or dry break varity. You can even mix and match open and dry. Dry puts a spring loaded shut off valve in the connect so when it is removed it closes. Very handy for my camelback so the water doesn't leak out before the bladder is installed in the bag. I run a little more complex, on the cath I have an open. I can take a pee at any time without anything special. From that I have a short hose with a dry on both ends. This is just an extension hose. When suiting up I plug the extension hose into the suit. Not trying to dig around under layers of thermals and try to plug the hose into the cath. I have it out in the open, through the undergarments, no wild hairs getting in the O-ring.

Ooooh... Ok, I get why the QD helps with possible kinking.
also with the QD think about getting extra pieces that go on the cath side.....easy to take the cath off and toss the QD too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom