Pacific Electric Ray?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill:
Definitely can get you whether you are wearing neoprene or not. When I was working with the Cousteaus on the Channel Islands special in their TBS "Rediscovery of the World" series (1985), one of the divers on the Alcyone was zapped by one. He knew what it was, but being young and daring he managed to get it to the point it discharged. After that he was through with diving for a while to ensure he had recovered.

Not sure on the voltage as I've heard a number of different ratings. It also differs in different species.
I had that episode on tape. That diver really looked as if he was convulsing for a few seconds, then everyone onboard had to inspect him after the dive. I had a "pet" Torpedo Ray at Marineland for a few years. He hovered near me on more than thirty dives. He was like a puppy. Every time I swam over to his reef he alswys came over to greet me and would hang around for 3-20 minutes, just following me around. I never got zapped by it, but I never tried to touch it or show any signs of aggression toward it. A few years later some #@$**# idiot speared it and when he brought it up to the parking lot, had the nerve to ask me if it was edible.

scottfiji:
The information on neoprene protecting you was from Dr. Chris Lowe, director of the Shark & Ray lab at Cal State Long Beach. However, based on these stories, I wouldn't test that theory myself!

saints fan, you touched a torpedo ray? omg ha ha ha ...sorry, I'm not laughing...ha ha ha ha

who was your OW instructor?

scott
Oh come on I asked you not to laugh, as far as my instructor I will never tell he was a good instructor overall just not on that point, as a matter of fact when I jumped (or flew back) everyone in class thought I was scared and didnt believe I actually got shocked until the inst. told them that every time he tapped it with his knife he got a little jolt,they didnt have a clue what it was either.

Oh and by the way I mean I barely brushed it with my fingertips so it doesnt take much to get it to discharge

Phil- I still have a copy or two of that episode on videotape. Clay was laughing afterwards, but I think he was surprised at the jolt. It was stunning!

As for the torpedo ray that the diver speared, what the heck was (s)he thinking? I assume it was a male since testosterone seems to gert the "better" of my gender on more than one occasion. It is incidents like that that really cause other divers to question spearfishers in general. I try hard to distinguish betwen all the good ones I know (and dive with) and the idiots who would spear a torpedo ray, black sea bass... or my hand!

There was also a Garibaldi on the surface with a fresh hole through the center. The sperafisherman was the only one there with a gun, but he denied shooting it. His nice, new mahogony speargun "accidently" was stomped on and broken in half later that day by a guy about 6'6", 300 pounds. :D

scottfiji:
The information on neoprene protecting you was from Dr. Chris Lowe, director of the Shark & Ray lab at Cal State Long Beach. However, based on these stories, I wouldn't test that theory myself!

saints fan, you touched a torpedo ray? omg ha ha ha ...sorry, I'm not laughing...ha ha ha ha

who was your OW instructor?

scott

Scott, the gallery is at http://gallery.scubapost.net

Wow, THANKS for all the great information everybody. I love to hear your personal experiences and check out the galleries - it's so awesome to have experienced divers tell their stories and see their pictures. It reminds me I have some really great experiences yet to come. And, it's good to know neoprene won't protect me too!!

John

I know Terry has a few nice shots of Torpedo Rays. I believe he and John (Krowsea) Alger were diving and encountered one. We also saw one covered in sand on the P38 one day. I couldn't find Terry's pics, maybe he can give us a link...

Sean

divebuddysean:
I know Terry has a few nice shots of Torpedo Rays. I believe he and John (Krowsea) Alger were diving and encountered one. We also saw one covered in sand on the P38 one day. I couldn't find Terry's pics, maybe he can give us a link...

Sean

That would be awesome! Thanks Sean.

John

MaxBottomtime:
There was also a Garibaldi on the surface with a fresh hole through the center. The sperafisherman was the only one there with a gun, but he denied shooting it. His nice, new mahogony speargun "accidently" was stomped on and broken in half later that day by a guy about 6'6", 300 pounds. :D

I like the way he operates. Wish he had been here on Catalina when a family at a cove on the west end caught some 300 garibaldi for a barbque. I didn't actually see this, but it came from a reliable source. Also the guy fishing for garibaldi on the Mole where the boats come in. He was warned by a harbor patrolman, but continued fishing after the guy left. Fortunately a sheriff's deputy was hidden and keeping an eye on the guy.

I just get angry when I see stuff like that... and I'm not usually a physical person (I'm a lover, not a fighter... at least when I get the chance!).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom