Packing multiple cameras in a Pelican case as checked luggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't believe airline security prohibits you from locking a bag? Now they may remove and replace a TSA lock (best case) or just bust a regular lock if they decide they want a look, but AFAIK you're not prohibited from locking anything. So, if it was securely locked when you checked it, and a lock got removed later, I wonder how that would count. Your word against theirs? Though I don't know how they would know if it was locked anyway.

I wonder if the airlines still even sell baggage insurance at check ing.

In the USA you can only use TSA approved locks. Any other will be broken off during inspection and not replaced. As mentioned we use zip ties to lock our bags and many times have found notes from Customs that our Storm Case and other bags were inspected but they always used the zip ties we provided to re-close the bag/s.

In my experience, they actually tell you not to lock your bags.

My understanding is that is to "speed screening time", not because there is anything prohibiting you from locking them. They would just rather not deal with locks, TSA approved or not.

I carry very expensive cameras (digital Hasselblad) when I travel. I use Pelican cases always and I lock them. But here is how I do it. I take them as hand baggage through security without locks. When I get to my gate, I ask to gate-check them. I put the locks on in front of the the gate agents and they take it. I pick the case up at the door, usually, upon arrival. Some times it winds up going to luggage, but it is still locked. So not a problem. I've done this all over the world.

I am a professional photographer and I have done this for years with no problems, (no damaged gear to speak of). I did have my bags arrive 24 hours late once while flying to Panama. That was interesting....
I have not flown with my cameras in my Pelican case in the past year though as I packed light and carried my cameras on in my camera bag. However, I have checked them (in the Pelican case) post 9-11 and what I did was to remain within eyesight of my case until it cleared through the x-ray area. (I gave them the key to unlock it and watched as they did and checked it.) I have not done so as of yet but I thought about getting some of those TSA approved locks that they can open without me being there.
I have done this at major US airports (NY, LA, etc., in addition to some overseas. I have even checked my 9mm pistol in the Peilican case too -- also post 9-11 and with no problems after I declare I have it and they check it. (USA travel only.)
It always makes me nervous traveling with my gear via plane but so far so good....

In my experience they will replace a zip tie with a zip tie of theirs. The TSA locks they just break off and don't bother replacing with anything.

Back
Top Bottom