PADI Advanced Course: 5 Adventure Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OzeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok I'm thinking about doing my PADI AOW cert in the next month or so and just wanting some feedback on the 'adventure dives' i was thinking to do...

UW navigation(required)
deep(required)
search & recovery
night
wreck OR Dive propulsion Vehicle

Those sound like great choices.

I would also recommend the Peak Perfomance Buoyancy - That is one of the more important skills for a new diver to master.

I recently got that cert. I would definately recomend search & recovery

Drop the wreck / Dive propolusion and do the Peak Perfomance Buoyancy
Once you get your trim and buoyancy right diving is so much more relaxing

Great choices. Of course, your choices might be limited to whats available from the INS/LDS. Try to pick a alternate just in case you can't get the Night or Wreck in..ie the Peak performance Bouyancy. And BTW it doesn't hurt to read and do ALL the chapters in the Advanced Book, you will find alot of useful info, even if you're not doing the dives right now. Good Diving. :14:
P

sounds good, though I would also substitute PPB for wreck/DPV. I think that makes up a good core set of skills that AOW should be fixed at for everyone instead of the random elective thing. (Pretty much how PADI AOW was years ago.)

S&R could be replaced by Nitrox. PPB, if taught well, and depending on your own skills, would be a better choice than DPV. I always reccomend Night, PPB and Nitrox.

Nitrox cert is a good idea and can often be added on to AOW. But I would add it rather than replacing one of those other things. If it's one of the AOW electives it doesn't result in the regular Nitrox cert since it's not the whole class. (Since PADI doesn't require dives anymore for Nitrox is it even an elective?)

OzeDiver:
Ok I'm thinking about doing my PADI AOW cert in the next month or so and just wanting some feedback on the 'adventure dives' i was thinking to do...

UW navigation(required)
deep(required)
search & recovery
night
wreck OR Dive propulsion Vehicle

As many have already said, Peak Performance Bouyancy needs to be in that list (IMO it should be required).

I'd probably dump wreck and night from that list, only because they are the sort of dive you'll do on any given occasion anyway. You might want to consider something else like DPV or even Fish ID or Photography depending on your interest. Either way... PPB PPB PPB :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom