PADI Advanced Diver Tests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[As to "being able to read a compass" that' is something you should have learned about in entry ow couse,.......] That's a laffer. Most OW courses involves the instructor throwing a towel over the student's head and telling him, using his unfamiliar compass, to walk across the parking lot in the general direction of a tree and back.

[As to "being able to read a compass" that' is something you should have learned about in entry ow couse,.......] That's a laffer. Most OW courses involves the instructor throwing a towel over the student's head and telling him, using his unfamiliar compass, to walk across the parking lot in the general direction of a tree and back.
compass use is to be reviewed during class while going over kr's .There are questions in kr on use of compass.OW training dive 4-5 have compass use on surface and uw as requirements. Compasses are not unfamiliar to our students.They are required by us for them to own their compass.The silly towel over the head thing is IMO useless .

I think the issue here is becoming a better diver- or it should be. You can do that by taking an advanced course that combine sbook reading, classroom exchanges, pool and open water experiences, and formal testing and exercises, AND you can become a better diver by diving with others who can offer you insight, information, correction and explanation. They might be instructors, or they might be non-professionals who are really good divers. I think you should combine both forms of learning and growing. If you are serious about it, I don't know why you are trying to save a few dollars on materials. My LDS sells a class like AOW as a unit including all materials, classroom pool and open water sessions. I am sometimes frustrated with students in the AOW class who don't have a compass, or some other item integral to the course and to being an advanced or independent diver. In an era where we spend $500 on a bcd, and more than that on quality and long lasting regulators and computers, do you really need to save $5 by buying a used and likely out of date book? I don't own the shop, I don't profit from instructional material sales. I just think you should have current materials, and an investment in them that will encourage you to use them. There is no cost for materials if you know someone who you can dive with and who will mentor you or lead you to better skills. I do that all the time. As a friend and dive buddy. No certificates are given, just experience and skills improvement. Happy diving!
DivemasterDennis

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about with the towel over the head. My compass lesson was being told to swim north for 20 fin kicks then find my way back. The
Instructor said I'd learn all I need from the advanced class.

It's not about saving a few bucks
(although nothing wrong with that) its the fact that when I go into my LDS I'm told I
have to pay for the class and buy the crew pack. I don't mind
Paying the class fee but I have the current crew
pack minus the test pages. Then once they tear the pages out of the new book I buy
I'll have two of the same thing. Thats what makes me mad.

I am not sure why you were looking for used manuals. The new manuals were included in the price of the PADI courses that I have taken. Skills like compass navigation are mastered by practice like most diving skills. Get out there and work on them. Your certification courses won't make you really proficient and you need to practice until they feel natural and easy.

The AOW cert is required by many dive operators before they will take you to dive sites that are deep or that they consider advanced.

I got the used book to learn more about diving and most of them are the current
versions. At my LDS its 145.00 for the "Adventure" class and an extra 52 for the crew
Pack. Then the way it was explained to me was with each speciality there's another
book/video to buy.

One thing that was mentioned is what I'm aiming for, I want to learn the stuff but I don't need another Padi card to carry around. I'd rather just pay an instructor to tKe me out and teach me. I don't need a Padi card that say I can read a compass I just want to be able to.
You may regret that when you decide to do any of a number of dives for which the operator requires that you be at least AOW certified.

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about with the towel over the head. My compass lesson was being told to swim north for 20 fin kicks then find my way back.
If that's the same instructor you are thinking about using for the advanced instruction, you may want to give it another thought.

And just to clarify....

PADI instructors are not required to keep either pages from the book or copies of pages from the book. They just have to verify that the work was done. If nothing else, it's part of being green. The shop at which I used to work had a bank of four-drawer file cabinets, half of which would have been unnecessary if storing KRs had never been required. None of the instructors I know keep copies any more.

Back
Top Bottom