PADI Advanced Open Water - Diving with Different Dive Shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bpodbielski

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm hoping this is the right spot for this question, but if not, I apologize ahead of time.

I've been diving since 2007 and finally decided to get my act together with the certifications, so I'm in the middle of completing my AOW from PADI. I've completed 3 of the dives (Nav, PPB, S&R) already but my dive charter for the last 2 (Deep and Wreck) has been cancelled multiple times now. Normally this wouldn't be a concern, but I am scheduled to take the Rescue Diver course and the last chance to get my final dives in is just a week prior to that. However, I have a 7 day dive trip planned to Mexico coming up and that's where my question comes in. Is it possible for me to do my deep and wreck dives with the dive shop in Mexico to count for my AOW? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

You should be able to do that. Talk to your instructor about setting it up.

I am not an expert but i believe advanced is no longer a prerequisite for rescue. So the time stress is a bit less i think.

I can still understand the wish for a finish of AOW so doing it in two different shops might still be an option, but no need as far as a know

I'm hoping this is the right spot for this question, but if not, I apologize ahead of time.

I've been diving since 2007 and finally decided to get my act together with the certifications, so I'm in the middle of completing my AOW from PADI. I've completed 3 of the dives (Nav, PPB, S&R) already but my dive charter for the last 2 (Deep and Wreck) has been cancelled multiple times now. Normally this wouldn't be a concern, but I am scheduled to take the Rescue Diver course and the last chance to get my final dives in is just a week prior to that. However, I have a 7 day dive trip planned to Mexico coming up and that's where my question comes in. Is it possible for me to do my deep and wreck dives with the dive shop in Mexico to count for my AOW? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!
Your current shop could issue you an Adventure Diver certification (only requires 3 specialty dives which you already have) and this would serve as your prerequisite for the Rescue class.

Your current shop could issue you an Adventure Diver certification (only requires 3 specialty dives which you already have) and this would serve as your prerequisite for the Rescue class.
This is true, so long as one of the three ADventure Dives is U/W Navigation, which it is. You'd be good to go.

Better to just finish AOW, which a PADI shop in Mexico can do for you. It might not be wreck, but that is an elective anyway. So Deep plus something.

You have two dives to do for AOW, and you are going to be doing way more than that anyway. I would just arrange for the dive operator to do the AOW with you. The only difference for you will be doing two knowledge reviews before the dives. The DM is probably an instructor, so it should take minimum effort on their part. Just be sure you have documentation of the first dives.

The Adventure Diver is a really good catch! Didn't realize that AOW wasn't the actual requirement... Thank you!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom