Puerto Galera and Coron - how much time and dive shop advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leftcoaster7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm an AOW Nitrox cert diver with 100+ dives. In the past few months I've been to Dauin, Siquijor, Panglao, Camiguin, Moalboal, Malapascua and Sogod in the Philippines. Next month I'll be back in the Philippines and am looking to dive Puerto Galera, Coron (previously been here 10 years ago) and Sibaltan.

I have 16 full days of diving to dive between these three locations (transit days are separate). Given my recent experience (also just did Komodo and Raja Ampat) I'm not looking for a mind-blowing unique dive experience, although the Coron wrecks may been that

I was thinking of dividing my trip into 6, 7 and 3 days between PG, Coron and Sibaltan in that order.

Any recommendations on my time allocation and good dive shops for PG and Coron? With Coron I'm torn between staying in conception or Coron town, the former would give me first access to the wrecks, the latter better restaurants and nightlife. At Sibaltan the sole option is Dive Sibaltan. PG seemingly has endless options.

Also zero interest in El Nido or
Anilao.

Only place I can recommend in Coron was Reggae divers. Good boat, good DMs, and even a deco drink after the dive. We had a great time with them, wife got her OW and my mother took her AOW with them as well.

PG I have no idea, but I'll be likely doing my DM though Asia Divers there next year.

Don't know about Sibaltan.

What did you think of Camiguin? I've dove there a lot and recently bought land there, I found the diving solid. What were your thoughts?

I am not certain whether or not you will have to fly between Puerto Galera and Coron via Manila or whether or not you can transit by boat and land. If you have to fly for any part of your trip then definitely do only two stops. You might be pleasantly surprised by PG. I did 13 nights in Anilao just after it opened up and was blown away by the diving there. Some people will say that pG is better again, there were day trips to PG from Anilao and I foolishly did not go. For sure there won’t be any big things but the coral and the biodiversity are outstanding. Travelling takes a very long tone in the Philippines and private transfers if you opt for them, I always do, are not cheap.

Just my MVHO, have a fantastic trip.

Only place I can recommend in Coron was Reggae divers. Good boat, good DMs, and even a deco drink after the dive. We had a great time with them, wife got her OW and my mother took her AOW with them as well.

PG I have no idea, but I'll be likely doing my DM though Asia Divers there next year.

Don't know about Sibaltan.

What did you think of Camiguin? I've dove there a lot and recently bought land there, I found the diving solid. What were your thoughts?
Thanks for the rec, I'll look them up.

I thought Camiguin has highly underrated diving. Mantigue is the best turtle diving I've had in the Philippines and Cabuan was incredible coral and clams, on par with much more famous places like Apo. I didn't have much time there but was really, really impressed. The on-land tour sites are a waste of time though I regret not hiking hibok-hibok.

I think it's under the radar for now but will grow in popularity as places like Panglao get even worse. Souldivers was a great shop.

I've been to PG twice now and I think people write off the diving too quickly based on the "red light district" reputation of Sabang. The fish populations and healthy reefs of Verde Island are simply a must see. Wish I could figure out how to spend an entire week on VI. One of my trips, I stayed with Atlantis and it was simply top notch. Much pricier than others but long time employees really know what they're doing: small boats grouping divers of similar temperaments/goals, where to find the creatures (I ticked at least a dozen species off my list in one trip), top notch camera room and good restaurant (not a big eater, so I usually just include breakfast and pay as I go for the rest, as well as trying out other restaurants). I've heard similar descriptions for El Galleon/Asia Divers, so I'll give them a try some day, as well. As others have mentioned here, this is NOT a stop for pelagics but you'll see flamboyants, blue rings, wonderpus, mimics, more species of nudis than you can count, mandarins, pygmies (pink and yellow), frogfish all over the place, disco clams and so, so much more. Longest boat ride to a site was still under 20 minutes and most are about 5-10. And yes, there is night life...

Edit: "still under 20 minutes" does NOT count Verde Island. That's basically a day trip at extra cost. Depending on the shop, 2 dive or 3 dive trip with lunch on the beach.

As far as PG goes, I am a fan of staying at El Galleon and diving with the on site dive op (Asia Divers). I have stayed there 2 times and both times were excellent and consistent. I have also done a week staying and diving with Atlantis in PG. Cannot complain about my experience there at all. Top notch dive operation, slightly more upscale accommodations vs El Galleon; but a more upscale price tag also.

As for how you want to spread out your 17 days, hard for me to say, as I have yet to visit your other 2 locations. But, I would give PG at least a week of your time.

Trip reports here:
Most recent: Trip Report - Philippines: 3 weeks in Puerto Galera and Dumaguete

April 2019: Trip Report - Trip Report-Philippines-Puerto Galera-El Galleon/Asia Divers-April 1-14, 2019

I'm an AOW Nitrox cert diver with 100+ dives. In the past few months I've been to Dauin, Siquijor, Panglao, Camiguin, Moalboal, Malapascua and Sogod in the Philippines. Next month I'll be back in the Philippines and am looking to dive Puerto Galera, Coron (previously been here 10 years ago) and Sibaltan.

I have 16 full days of diving to dive between these three locations (transit days are separate). Given my recent experience (also just did Komodo and Raja Ampat) I'm not looking for a mind-blowing unique dive experience, although the Coron wrecks may been that

I was thinking of dividing my trip into 6, 7 and 3 days between PG, Coron and Sibaltan in that order.

Any recommendations on my time allocation and good dive shops for PG and Coron? With Coron I'm torn between staying in conception or Coron town, the former would give me first access to the wrecks, the latter better restaurants and nightlife. At Sibaltan the sole option is Dive Sibaltan. PG seemingly has endless options.

Also zero interest in El Nido or
Anilao.
At Sibaltan, there is another dive operator, Mobuladivers Sibaltan. They are located at club Ursula. Discovered them accidentally when I stayed at club Ursula but had already booked at Dive Sibaltan for 2 days. Took my 3rd day of diving with them (half day).

Personally I would recommend Mobula whose marketing is not there online though surprisingly do see quite a bit of divers but not as many as DS.
DS mainly cater for the day tourist and go to the same places.
On day 1.. We had a family of refreshers. 8 to 9 of them. Went to the manta cleaning stations for the rest of us, while the other group went for refresher. Didn't see the mantas. So dive 2, we stayed at the same place. No mantas. Then dive 3, we stayed nearby coz the boat captain said not enough fuel to go shark alley. Slightly disappointed, but OK. The 3rd dive site had some current, so it was a slight fast drift dive. I was OK but the holiday group were blowing through their air in20 min.. So the entire boat surfaced on 25.
Next day was a smaller group (4 to 5 in total) but more experienced divers. One was a dmt, they used a lighter boat and went to the same dive sites.

On 3rd day which I wasn't planning to dive initially (da need full day), but I had a van pickup after lunch. Mobula was able to work me into their plans for me to join on 2 dives. Unfortunately we had to go nearby as I have a schedule to make, so I ended up on the same place. But on the 2 days when I was with DS, mobula did go to different place, like shark alley further out, thus making an effort for different experiences.

Cost wise, mobula was more expensive, food was much better really proper full course. The instructors/ owner was much friendlier. Don't feel like cattle sheep.
If I were to go back to sibaltan, I would go with them.. Just that need proper planning as the transfer from pps there is a bitch. (due to last min cancellation by my lob last year, my flights were already booked to pps and non refundable flights), so decided to hop to el nido where someone recommended sibaltab

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom