PADI Ascent Rate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I went thru the OW course in 2004 it was 60 feet per minute, and we did buddy breathing during the exercises.
When I went thru the OW refresher a few months ago it was 30 fpm and buddy breathing was "banned".

Apparently the results over the years determined that too many divers got lung over-expansion injuries from holding their breath while their buddy was using the reg during ascending. Although we were taught to slowly exhale while your buddy was using the reg, in a panic situation divers forget their training.

So why have all or most others changed and PADI haven't?

One rumour I've heard floating about is that if they do, then claims may be able to be made against PADI from previous incidents in the US

I've heard the same. Changing the ascent rate could open them to litigation, even a class action suit.... from anyone who got 'undeserved' bent diving PADI tables over the years.

Given that the tables will probably be gone in the coming years, it's probably not worth changing it at this stage.

When diving computers... PADI advise following computer instructions, so they avoid all liability for DCS issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom