PADI credit deep diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I’m an advanced qualified diver and had Deep as one of my specialty dives.
My question is about credits and what they mean. How does the fact that I did deep dive help me when going for Deep diver qualification so I can dive to 40m?
thanks in advance

I believe it counts as Dive 1 of your 4 required in the course. But I’m not an instructor and never took the deep specialty so someone will correct me if that’s not right.

You can already dive to 40m. OW qualifies you for the entire realm of recreational diving. The caveat is that it is up to you to determine if you are prepared for any particular dive based on your experience and any additional training you have taken. Shallower limits, such as the 20m that is often seen in conjunction with OW certification, only apply to training.

That said, dive operators can set their own conditions and many of them place limits on what depth they'll allow based on what certs you have. In practice that means it's a good idea to get AOW or the equivalent from other agencies. Some ops will accept Deep as an alternative to AOW as far as the max depth they will allow. But I'm not aware of any that require both. OTOH, I wouldn't be shocked if some op that wanted to sell Deep courses limited AOW to 30m while allowing Deep to go to 40m.

Seem to remember that there are 2-3 essential topic dives out of the 5 when you do your advanced course,
The “deep” dive is basically a depth progression dive so takes your 18m OW dive limit to 30m as an advanced, you can then do “deep speciality” that is (or was) a standalone speciality that gives you the 40m ticket,, bear in mind all that I have said here is from memory,
You have to have advanced to be able to do deep speciality anyway so don’t see how there is experience / dive / credit here but am sure a current OWSI will put us all right soon, but hope I’ve been some help anyway.

Hi, I’m an advanced qualified diver and had Deep as one of my specialty dives.
I think you meant adventure dives.. Yes that dive counts as the first dive of deep diver specialty course (out of 4 dives). So, in theory it can shorten your course as you have to do 1 less dive and might as well reduce the cost of the course.
But on the other hand, pre-request for DD course is an AOWD certification or similar (from another organisation). So if you did Padi AOWD course, you can use this as credit, but if you cross over from another organisation, you need to do all 4 dives.

My feeling (having witnessed this once with the Nitrox course back when 2 dives were required) is whether the first Deep dive counts toward Deep cert. depends on what the shop where you're going to do the Deep course wants to do.

You can already dive to 40m. OW qualifies you for the entire realm of recreational diving. The caveat is that it is up to you to determine if you are prepared for any particular dive based on your experience and any additional training you have taken. Shallower limits, such as the 20m that is often seen in conjunction with OW certification, only apply to training.

That said, dive operators can set their own conditions and many of them place limits on what depth they'll allow based on what certs you have. In practice that means it's a good idea to get AOW or the equivalent from other agencies. Some ops will accept Deep as an alternative to AOW as far as the max depth they will allow. But I'm not aware of any that require both. OTOH, I wouldn't be shocked if some op that wanted to sell Deep courses limited AOW to 30m while allowing Deep to go to 40m.

Would YOU take a freshly minted OW student to 40m if they self decided it was okay?

That was rhetorical.

This is the new diver’s and those considering diving forum, I think we should be very careful with what we insinuate is acceptable.

Would YOU take a freshly minted OW student to 40m if they self decided it was okay?

That was rhetorical.

This is the new diver’s and those considering diving forum, I think we should be very careful with what we insinuate is acceptable.
I'm not insinuating anything. I am providing accurate information in response to the OP's apparent misconception. A misconception that is increasingly widely held and even pushed by entities that should know better.

FWIW, I do object to the diminishment of the Open Water certification. The majority of the for-profit scuba training industry seems determined to undercut what OW is supposed to be. There is an existing certification for what PADI and similar agencies are trying to turn OW into, which are limited depth dives under the supervision of a DM or instructor. That certification is called "Scuba Diver" or "Supervised Diver" depending on the agency and falls under the ISO 24801-1 and WRSTC "Supervised Diver" standards. I wish they would use this for the quickie courses and allow Open Water divers to go back to being what the standards call them, i.e. "Autonomous Diver".

Hi @Darrandales

I did PADI AOW and Deep Diver in 2004. The AOW deep dive counted as one of the 4 dives needed for Deep Diver.

In nearly 20 years and 2300 dives, I have been asked for my AOW cert on numerous occasions to do deeper or more advanced dives. I have never been asked for my Deep Diver cert for any dive. Not that Deep Diver was worthless, just never required for any dive.

The only other certs requested are Nitrox and Solo Diver. I have used my DPV cert a few times to rent a DPV without having to do a guided DPV dive first.

Best of luck in your dive training.

That was rhetorical.

This. I have AOW but am basically a newbie with 16 total dives right now. It will be 24 or 25 by the end of this week, but that hardly qualifies as experienced. I would hesitate to dive with a dive master who thinks I can go to 40 meters after that few dives, no training or dive below 90 feet which is more than 10 meters less. Maybe 30 or 35 meters is ok in the right circumstance. Caution is not a bad thing and I am certainly not ashamed of my training and skill limitations. Machismo is for bull fighting or something.

My minimal contribution, priced for value.

Back
Top Bottom