PADI Rescue Diver vs SSI Stress and Rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pulmcc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone. My sons and I are still "young" divers (26 dives) and have gotten our SSI Open Water certification and have completed Nitrox, Navigation, and Perfect Buoyancy courses. We had a hiccup completing our Deep Water dives but will be completing those in a couple of months. I am now planning on doing a rescue diver course (currently registered for SSI course in Cozumel in May), not because any of us plan on any professional certification in the future, but simply to become better and more confident divers. Especially for those of you who are instructors, is there much difference the PADI and SSI courses? Any reason not to do a rescue course? Thanks in advance.

If you have no desire to go pro, as you said, then choose the best instructor. Agency wont matter.
However unless things have changed i believe padi includes the cpr/first aid etc? While with ssi that is separate

If you have no desire to go pro, as you said, then choose the best instructor. Agency wont matter.
However unless things have changed i believe padi includes the cpr/first aid etc? While with ssi that is separate
I think EFR is separate for PADI as well since EFR is listed as a prerequisite. Current plan is to do both React Right and Stress & Rescue with a SSI center in Cozumel but the resort we're staying at has ProDive and they are PADI based (considering them solely for the convenience of not having to "travel" to the SSI center).

PADI does require a separate CPR/First Aid in order to take the class - it's not included as part of the rescue diver class.

EDIT - sorry for the duplicate information, @Pulmcc posted just as I entered my post.

I think EFR is separate for PADI as well since EFR is listed as a prerequisite.
Technically, yes. However, your Rescue instructor may also be an EFR instructor, and therefore pretty transparent.

Well, due to the massive cost difference between PADI ($942) and SSI ($500), we will be sticking with SSI.

Wow, PADI was $500 when I did it (Rescue+EFR).

You can complete an EFR course at home prior to rescue course.
I have had many students from the usa do these at very low cost with their local Fire Dept.
The course is primary care first aid and CPR with AED.
If the course is Red Cross approved, or equivalent, then it is acceptable as the pre requisite.
Note the course must be "hands on" ( not conducted entirely online) and include the use of an AED.

If I were you, I would do a little bit more fun diving before taking rescue - maybe 20 more dives. With 26 dives in total you did mostly supervised training.

Rescue includes not just self-rescue but also helping other divers, so you tend to get more out of the course when you become really comfortable with your own diving.

If I were you, I would do a little bit more fun diving before taking rescue - maybe 20 more dives. With 26 dives in total you did mostly supervised training.

Rescue includes not just self-rescue but also helping other divers, so you tend to get more out of the course when you become really comfortable with your own diving.
Totally agree.
Get in more dives when not supervised by an instructor.
There is no substitute for underwater experience and learning from your own mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom