PADI Deep Diver cert class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidHickey:
So in the AOW and Deep dive classes do they still make you get on your knees on the bottom do your skills and pull you mask off and on? Or is all that over in OW training?

They'll make you do it in the pool.

A good instructor won't ask you to do it on your knees anymore, though. He'll catch you swimming, stop you and make you take it off and put it on while hovering. If it's your first time not kneeling then you'll either crash to the bottom or end up on the surface. It's a rare person who doesn't.

You'll also be made to do most, if not all, of the OW skills again in the pool....preferably in a fin pivot or while swimming.

R..

My instructor had us open a combination lock on land and a different combo lock under water. It took me forever.... I use high security combo locks every day and can open them in my sleep, but you go left first and there is a different sequence. I was worried I may not pass 'cause I couldn't open the lock.

Cathan:
Okay, that is helpful. Without having my log in front of me, I think we (wife = dive-buddy) have around 20-25 dives with max depths between 90-130 feet. Not that I would consider us experts but we know how to plan the dive, dive the plan, how to do slow assents, safety stops, know how to use our tables and dive computers and know that we have to go slow when narc'd.

The course sounds like it would be a good thing for divers fresh off of AOW. But is doesn't sound like we would get much from it.

Thanks for the input!!

First, I want to say that with 20-25 dives, you really are just learning about diving. Don't kid yourself. Overconfidence can be a very very bad thing. The problem with deep diving is that you are moving yourself just that much further from the surface. Below 60 feet, ESA's, while doable, are far more dangerous. No stop times diminish quickly and air consumption rates increase. That coupled with the effects of Narcosis can lead to poor and slow decision making when you need it.

When you are ready to look at deep diving, please take a good thorough class that covers the basics of decompression procedures, redundant equipment and proper dive/gas planning. You and your wife will be much safer for doing it, even if you have no desire to move on to technical diving of any kind. My opinion of the PADI class is pretty low. Other agencies have better deep diving classes IMHO. PADI just doesn't cover deco procedures and dive planning thoroughly enough.

The first dive is as described above.
For the Deep Diver cert. PADI requires you be an Adventure Diver (or the equivalent rating from another agency of PADI AOW). If you have already done the PADI deep adventure dive, your instructor may count that dive towards your Deep Diver cert.
Dive 2 learning objectives: execute a free descent using a line as a visual reference only; observe 3 pressure-affected objects; navigate away from and/or back to the reference line (distance dependant on visibility); perform an ascent using a reference line as a visual guide only; use depth gauge and timing device or computer to ascent at no more than 60'/min.(all 4 dives); perform a 3 min. safety stop at 15' without holding on to a reference line.
Dive 3: Depth 100' - 130'; descend/ascend using descent/ascent line; observe colored objects at depth, use of underwater lights; perform 8-min. simulated emergency decompression stop at 15 feet, while breathing from an emergency air source for at least 1 min. of total time.
Dive 4: descend/ascend with use of contour or sloping bottom or wall as reference (learn wall diving techniques); complete an underwater tour; 15', 3 min. safety stop.

in_cavediver:
First, I want to say that with 20-25 dives, you really are just learning about diving.
I think what he meant was 20-25 dives at those depths (90-130 feet), not total dives.

I agree with it. If someone is really pursuing for the deep diving, the best option isn't just simple PADI class.

in_cavediver:
First, I want to say that with 20-25 dives, you really are just learning about diving. Don't kid yourself. Overconfidence can be a very very bad thing. The problem with deep diving is that you are moving yourself just that much further from the surface. Below 60 feet, ESA's, while doable, are far more dangerous. No stop times diminish quickly and air consumption rates increase. That coupled with the effects of Narcosis can lead to poor and slow decision making when you need it.

When you are ready to look at deep diving, please take a good thorough class that covers the basics of decompression procedures, redundant equipment and proper dive/gas planning. You and your wife will be much safer for doing it, even if you have no desire to move on to technical diving of any kind. My opinion of the PADI class is pretty low. Other agencies have better deep diving classes IMHO. PADI just doesn't cover deco procedures and dive planning thoroughly enough.

Tod:
I think what he meant was 20-25 dives at those depths (90-130 feet), not total dives.

We have over 50 dives this years. Almost half of them were at depths greater then 90 feet. I don't think we are being over-confident just because we are asking about what the skills are that will be taught in this class. We just want to make sure that we are getting value from that particular course, or if we would be better served persuing other class work.

Right now we are signed up to take the Rescue class later this year and then hopefully will take a DIR-F class in the spring and some wreck/tech/more advance course work.

I firmly believe in continuing education. I just want to make sure I'll be learning something and not juts padding PADI's pocket.

Cathan:
I firmly believe in continuing education. I just want to make sure I'll be learning something and not juts padding PADI's pocket.

It sounds like you would be padding PADI's and your instructors pocket a little bit. The course description sounds like a supervised "tour" and then you get a relatively meaningless card that says you've gone deep? I have never been asked to show my Deep Diver C-Card anywhere. Does anyone know a place that REQUIRES it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom