PADI Divemaster Program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agwatts

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All,

I recently completed my PADI Rescue Diver certification. I enrolled into the Divemaster program this week and will begin classes next week.

I would like some feedback from current candidates and certified Divemasters on their experiences. What to look for and what to look out for. General comment about the process and for those who have completed the program...how do you like being a Divemaster.

Thanks

The divemaster class is all about the instructor. If your instructor is awesome, it'll be an awesome class, if he's a hardass you have works your *** off, etc.

But regardless who teaches the class when become a certified DM you'll have to start helping with classes, working on the boats and taking divers out before you'll get good at it. ...it's sort of like getting an openwater certification in that respect.

Good luck and have fun!

Fluffy...thanks. You sound like your a DM. How long were you or have you been a DM?

GW

Fluffy...thanks. You sound like your a DM. How long were you or have you been a DM?

GW

I'm going to go with the big MSDT on his icon means his is a Master Scuba Diver Trainer...

I'm actually starting classes for DM next week.. So I'm interested in the responses you'll receive in this thread...

I did mine while starting work for a resort dive shop. It was a lot of fun because we were diving every day while learning and doing the academic portions. I took about 4 months to complete it.

up north,when the weather gets bad,it's time for "pool school"
my instructor and i were able to get some college kids involved in scuba as"outdoors activities"
unfortunately,three of them were to graduate come spring time...
open waters in 34* water-lots of hot water-free flow drills-snow and ice....
we had a ball!!! best bunch of hardy divers you ever wanted to be around..
is it worth it??? the look in their eyes and the puffed chests... yeah it's good to be a divemaster!!
mask on and off sucked- when i told them we had to do "wetsuit on and off"-the look..priceless!!!
best of luck

You'll have fun doing your DM cert. But your there to learn how to control a group of people and be responsible with them. YOU are not there to be an instructors go-for. As a DM you'll be the right hand of the instructor. Helping in everything. Classroom, pool, open water, demo's, you'll be called on to help students and a lot more. I read here a good instructor makes a good DM. Well guess what it works the opposite as well. An Instructor is only good as his DM'S. Different Instructors and DM's work with each other differently. Pick an Instructor that you like, and like how he teaches and handles students.

Sorry Fluffy...my bad for not picking up on the MSDT! Rats. Thank you all for your words of encouragement. My goal is to move into the Instructor ranks and beyond, and I hope to encourage others, as you have for me.

AGWATTS,
The DM program was a good time for me. I learned a lot about diving. It is intensive and fun. But Fluffy is right. A good instructor, an enjoyable experience. A bad instructor.....

Either way, the experience is up to you. you will get out what you put in. Afterwards, it is up to you as to how you enjoy it. I have taught several who stay as DM's and others who go on to instructor. Both paths are good ones.

There are many area's on the web for information on your studies so look to searching the web for help if you don't get help from your instructor. That or here at Scuba board, you can find plenty of people who are willing to answer questions.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing you guiding dives in your area.

I can't add on what has been said. The truth has been spoken about the working with and for the instructor.. I will tell you that as you start in the world of professional dive people.. Make sure you take time to dive with your buddies and not always with a class.. sometimes it gets to be a job and as we all know some people are easy to work with..(Students) and some you'll be glad to see leave.. So Best of luck to you. Have fun!!!! You will learn more in this class then you will in any other... Thats just my take on it..
Docmojo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom