Padi Divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great information from everybody. Dan, thanks for requesting this info. I look forward to being your DMC buddy.

Here's a couple of things-- Study all the manuals, etc. as much as possible prior to classes.

Have you joined the Going Pro subforum? (My shop owner let me use him as a reference). Lots of valuable stuff there on the course, particularly the stamina tests-- for the tread test consider drown proofing.

Lots of good suggestions. Two more:

1) Make sure you surf through the "Go Pro" forum here, lots of questions answered and advice given there,
2) The demos on the current DM DVD are for the most part 3's. Shoot for 5's. Remember that demos are generally for brand new scuba divers -- they have to be slow, exaggerated, include all critical steps and at the same time look easy and like you've done it 1,001 times. Practice, practice, practice!

Be open minded and willing to accept criticism.

Read and memorize the Encyclopedia of Diving. It represents the entire written test.

Focus on the one thing they won't tell you to concentrate on: "demonstration skills". Perfecting those skills represents the main real difference between DM and OWSI.

Read and memorize the Encyclopedia of Diving. It represents the entire written test.

Focus on the one thing they won't tell you to concentrate on: "demonstration skills". Perfecting those skills represents the main real difference between DM and OWSI.

Keep in mind a fair bit of the Encyclopedia is not vital or on the tests--ei-worldwide dive locations, the history of the snorkel. Concentrate on physiology, physics, etc. (though I believe there is little or no "math" for the new physics requirements).

Skill demos: Yes, this is what held me up a long while. Wish I had a video back then.

The OP asked
any advice from other professionals out there that could help me excell to the top of my class?

IF you've done most, or all, of your training with the same LDS, go to another one and then another one. That is, get training experiences that are different.

I'm a BIG believer in that every "dive professional" should, at the very least, be trained, really trained, to the "techreational" level which would included:

a. Cavern;

b. Fundies (sigh);

c. Intro to tech; or

d. Something like PADI Tec 40

One should be trained to at least "one level higher than they are teaching" and even as a DM, you will "be teaching" if only by example.

For what it's worth, before I had finished my DM program I had:

a. Cavern/Intro to Cave

b. Fundies

c. NAUI Helitrox

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom