Padi Efr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welsh_Dive_Pro:
I agree, these skills are essential in a dive environment. However, don't be fooled into thinking that becasue you have done your EFR course and your Rescue course that you know your stuff (I don't mean to pi$$ on your parade by saying this).

Hey, don't worry, you haven't! I know there's plenty more to learn, and I am determined to KEEP learning.

I've already taken 5 specialties (inc. oxygen administration) and am planning on taking as many different courses as I can, when I have the funds - NOT for the c-cards, NOT to show off, but because I want to keep learning!!

I wish you all the best for your rescue course and hope that you never have any need to put those skills into action. But please don't stop learning, the day you think you know it all is the day you die.

All the best to you, too! :)

cancun mark:
It is hard to make first aidC/CPR courses entertaining, however it should be interesting and of good value. I always try to teach my students something about how the body works that they perhaps never knew. If I can show them on their own bodies, it is more interesting than just talking about it.

They can make the dummies more attractive............

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/Members/ScriptContent/Index.cfm

Going through EFR course is great, but like others have mentioned you don't know how you will react in a true emergency until you are faced with one. It's MUCH easier to stay calm and thoughtful when you KNOW it's a scenario and someone is not really in trouble. I have not been through the rescue diver class, oxygen provider or even their EFR course. My career lies in EMS as an EMT and next month I take my national exams to be a Paramedic. I work full time in a very busy city EMS system. Having been faced with the unique situations of a "rescue," I can say that none of them are like any scenario that you went over in class. The class scenarios tend to give you a clearly defined picture of a certain situation. Real patients do not present "like the book."
Remember to stay calm, if you panic that you're not doing anyone any good and could end up a victim yourself. For the vast majority of patients, oxygen will not hurt them. I have heard people mention the use of demand valves. In EMS the demand valve has fallen out of favor to the non-rebreather face mask since there's less chance of filling someone's stomach with gas and having them vomit and aspirate.
Never stop learning and practicing your skills, and remember to call for help as early as possible. Good luck.
Shane

I whole heartedly agree that a real patient will rarely present like in the book. However, I think that its still a great idea for as many divers as possible to get EFR and Rescue certified. Even some knowledge is better than none at all. Ultimately, my life is in my hands, but if something should happen, it'd be nice to know that I wasn't the only Rescue diver in the group.

Ya
I think EFR courses are fun but there are lots of other options we can look at. Red cross, St John, Or RLSS courses are also recognised for PADI....

Yes...as many said before, it is the most important class, maybe second only to Rescue Diver. Not much you can do to make the book work interesting, but then in diving, what book work IS more fun the the praticle part of the course. Keep on plugging on, you will get through it...Good luck! Ann

texdiveguy:
Just began my self study portion of the PADI Emergency First Response course.....boy it's a bit dry,,,,but know it's important to learn. Next weekend is our 6 hour classroom section.

ive got a question
Is the course helpful for everyone?
im 14 and am only 0W qualified is it worth me doig the course?

Another question...the better half and I took our rescue using our renewed and current American Red Cross CPR & First Aid cards. Neither of us have taken EFR. Is there any benefit to be gained from the EFR class which is not covered by ARC certifications?

leach:
ive got a question
Is the course helpful for everyone?
im 14 and am only 0W qualified is it worth me doig the course?

Absolutely!

Like the Nike commercial says "Just DO it!" :D

gangrel441:
Another question...the better half and I took our rescue using our renewed and current American Red Cross CPR & First Aid cards. Neither of us have taken EFR. Is there any benefit to be gained from the EFR class which is not covered by ARC certifications?

If you already have 1st Aid & CPR, there's really no need to go through the EFR course. Just keep your certs current. :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom