PADI Instructors, what did it cost you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is a good way to put it...diving boot camp. The last few weeks are very stressful. You're living in close quarters with the same people for ten weeks so by that time it get's intense in and out of the classroom. I was having battles with one guy and I had started a relationship with a girl in the class so all kinds of thigns were happening. :) Some people don't make it in the last few weeks because it gets so stressful but that's one way for them to tell who can make it in the real world when real stress can be a factor. I'm very glad I went there. :)

The PADI IDC and IE cost me about $2000 to $2500 US. That includes gas, food and hotel costs as I did my stuff out of town. The cost for just the IDC was $1100.

I couldn't even begin to figure the cost of everything from OW thru DM although I'm sure it was many more times the cost of the IDC.

Scott

All prices are £sterling
ow 350
aow 195
rd 195
dm 350
idc 995
ie 250
5 specialties - 100 ea - 500
mfa 85
ok stop here for inst costs = £ 2920
After that
mfai inst 250
IANTD inst 250
5 Inst specialties +MSDT Application 200 ish
idc staff instr course - 250
+ recent update - 250
MI application 30 ish
8 more specialities @ 30 ish - 240
Boathandling course and instructor course - 250

Total without diving, or gear - £4640 or US$7000

That does not include the qualifying dives to DM or for IDC.
Then the manuals ...
Then the insurance
Then the annual renewals
Then the updates
Then ....
10 years of my life works out about £5000 per year for all of my diving from 24 June 1993 until now .... and I tell you something if someone said to me, 10 years ago, here is £50,000 (US$75000) go and spend it, I would never have thought of scuba diving. But now I am so glad that I frittered away that money for the awesome memories I have.

i originaly did a out door diving recreational programe (D,O,R,P)
started feb 03 it takes you from ow to divemaster full time 5 days a week 9-4 in 3 months as well as a tramping and snowline trained guide, 5 specialties after that i decided to take on a owsi diploma in which im about to finish just have to go to tonga for three weeks then ive got my diploma and it cost me all up around 12k new zealand ....which aint worth crap....but not workin full time for 10 months is hard ....thanks mum/dad
hehehe sooo much cheaper livin at home
and thats not including gear ;-0

Zept once bubbled...
Do you want people to include the cost of prior training? And prior diving?

Yes, that's the only way to evaluate the true cost.

cornfed once bubbled...

Yes, that's the only way to evaluate the true cost.

Amen on that. When it's said and done from start to finish. With all the travel, fuel, hotels, etc. etc. etc. paid for. I would dare to say that it costs 10K..

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...

Amen on that. When it's said and done from start to finish. With all the travel, fuel, hotels, etc. etc. etc. paid for. I would dare to say that it costs 10K..

I was being facetious.

I was also playing off the way many people consider becoming an instructor (or any "pro" level) to be the ultimate and logical goal of dive training. But that was subtle.

My Bad! I should have worded my question differently!

I'm interested in the ballpark cost from PADI O/W to Instructor.

For better or worse I'll start a new thread so others won't miss this one and ask the same good question (all costs or just cost for instructor training alone")

Thanks,

Harbour

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom