PADI OW Final Exam Questions that are either wrong or just bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a story about real world diving.

In several OW classes I taught, when I was teaching the dive planning portion, students told me that their friends who were experienced divers told them that they only have to know about dive planning for the class, because "in the real world" of diving, all of the planning is done by divemasters.

Just because your "real world" experience does not match what is taught in a standard class that has been taught that way around the world for years, it does not make the class wrong. I know it will be hard to believe, but it is possible for an experienced diver to be wrong about something.

If you start a thread attacking PADI on ScubaBoard, you will get instant knee jerk approval from some people, no matter what you wrote, so the fact that some people agreed with you is not verification.

the fact that some people agreed with you is not verification.

It's enough for me. I'm quite satisfied with the feedback I received on this thread, I appreciate the time and effort the members put into their responses, even those that I don't agree with.

Here's PADIs response:

Hello <Gamon>

Thank you for your feedback.

I can assure you that every question and answer in the Open Water Diver Course final exam is reviewed by our training and quality management team before being released. If you have any doubts or questions, best is to address them to the Instructor who will be teaching the course.

Best regards,

Guillaume

It's enough for me. I'm quite satisfied with the feedback I received on this thread, I appreciate the time and effort the members put into their responses, even those that I don't agree with.

Here's PADIs response:

Hello <Gamon>

Thank you for your feedback.

I can assure you that every question and answer in the Open Water Diver Course final exam is reviewed by our training and quality management team before being released. If you have any doubts or questions, best is to address them to the Instructor who will be teaching the course.

Best regards,

Guillaume
In other words, in evaluating feedback, you accept all feedback supporting your preconceived notions and reject all feedback that contradicts it.

Got it.

In other words, in evaluating feedback, you accept all feedback supporting your preconceived notions and reject all feedback that contradicts it.

Got it.i
I agree with those who agree with me.

That seems to be how it works around here.

I agree with those who agree with me.

That seems to be how it works around here.
Let me fix it for you:
"I agree with those who agree with what I thought before I asked for feedback."

OT and political…

You’ve chosen an interesting handle @gamon. Not sure if you know that the term "gammon" in the UK is an insult used to describe an unthinking bigot, particularly when directed at a person — a Leaver — who dared to vote to leave the smothering clutches of the EU and is especially used by Remainiac EUphiles.

Let me fix it for you:
"I agree with those who agree with what I thought before I asked for feedback."
I try to keep an open mind, however I didn't hear anything contrary to what I first thought before I posted this thread.

OT and political…

You’ve chosen an interesting handle @gamon. Not sure if you know that the term "gammon" in the UK is an insult used to describe an unthinking bigot, particularly when directed at a person — a Leaver — who dared to vote to leave the smothering clutches of the EU and is especially used by Remainiac EUphiles.

It was just a random username. Let's not overthink.

Back to the OP. We all probably can recall some poorly worded questions from our school days (or at my age, at least recall that there WERE in fact some....). It makes you think sometimes. Not just a PADI thing. When I took the PADI written exam (2005-- no e learning yet), there was one question that had two possible answers that could be considered correct, depending on how you look at it. I chose the wrong one and got a 98. The instructor agreed with me and said I should've gotten 100. Matters not in the least, but it would've been nice to be able to say a got a 100.

We all probably can recall some poorly worded questions from our school days (or at my age, at least recall that there WERE in fact some....)

Can you remember that far? I can't even remember school.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom