PADI OW to Adv and time constraints.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have already taken the OW courses no problem, just complete the 3 OW dives. For the AOW you need to have the knowledge reviews completed 1) Deep, 2) Navigation and 3 others decided by you and the instructor (These can be completed ahead of time and brought with you). Through PADI there are no written tests for AOW, just the dives.
I thought it was 5 dives for AOW.

Richard
3 OW for the OW class. IF all the training is done and tests are passed they must complete the OW dives to be certified. Then the 5 dives for AOW 1) Deep 2) Navigation and 3 others.

Oh I just figured I'd knock it out. I love learning new stuff and the learning part would be a part of the pseudo vacation/learning trip

At the very beginning of diving experience is more important than anything else therefore just "going diving" to get used to diving within the conditions and parameters you are used to is the best training you can do.

Just doing course after course produces divers with lots of cards but absolutely no experience and thats where it gets dangerous. Consolidate skills and experience before pushing on.

Doing AOW right after OW is fine IF you are comfortable with the OW skills. OTOH, Trying to do the navigation exercises (for example) while struggling with bouyancy control is not the best way to learn. How you feel after your OW dives is the best guage, but you'll have some idea from the pool sessions.

After the pool, get the book(Adventures in Diving) and read about the dives you can choose (navigation and deep are required) then decide if they seem like fun dives to you.

Two of my former students did exactly what you propose a couple fo weeks ago, and they returned filled with enthusiasm. They did the classroom and referral work with me here in Colorado and went to Bonaire for their checkout dives. They just decided impulsively to go on with the AOW, and they are glad they did.

PADI made a mistake when they came up with the term Advanced Open Water, because it implies that you are an advanced diver when you are done. You are not. It is only the next step in your training. That is why they call the book and the ourse "Adventures in Diving."

The advantage of doing it right away (which, by the way, is what I did) is that you start your diving experience with an instructor who will show you the best way to do things instead of floundering around on your own. To those who say you should get more experience first, I ask "Why?" Yes, experience is very beneficial, but why not get that experience after you have been given more instruction?

By the way, PADI OW requires 4 checkout dives, not 3.

I'll be doing my pool dives soon and am thinking of going to Bonaire for a week with the group to do my check dives. If I like it as much as Im thinking I will, I may just get the five advanced dives taken care of while Im there. Is that feasable? I sent an e-mail to the instructor and am currently waiting on the response but I figured I'd see what said peanut gallery here thinks.
There's your problem. You are going to Bonaire for only a week instead of two.:D One week just ain't enough!

To those who say you should get more experience first, I ask "Why?" Yes, experience is very beneficial, but why not get that experience after you have been given more instruction?

Two reasons - further instruction that is based on presumed existing skills & knowledge is wasted if those existing skills and knowledge aren't up to a certain level already. After OW level and NO dives what so ever this is usually the case.

Secondly, the basic things that new divers need such as buoyancy, decision making and so on are best learnt while diving and consolidating whilst staying inside that comfort zone. Adding more and more tasks whilst trying to perform those tasks doesnt really benefit anyone.

Ideally id say 10-15 dives then consider advanced.

Seen no end of people just course hopping - it produces divers that in theory can do some skills from a book but in reality dont have a grasp of the bigger picture, buoyancy or any real experience to put those skills into practice.

I'd really like PADI to do what other agencies do and introduce XX dives in between each course to reinforce the experience thing. In my view AOW is wrong, rescue is wrong and DM is definitely wrong.

Hey Belaflek (and the Flektones?)

This is a lot less complicated than the post by Loughman about going all the way through to DM. I have no problem with spending 9 of 20 or so dives during a week on Bonaire finishing the OW dives and doing AOW. You sound very enthusiastic and have the right attitude concerning the need for experience. AOW does open up additional dive opportunites.

Good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom