PADI Patches - Where do you get them and how do you wear them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agilis:
Here in NJ last year a recently certified diver was discovered carrying one of those tiny 1.5 cf spare air devices. He was forced to wear a PADI patch for 90 days.
:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

muddiver:
Same with diving. I agree that there will be blokes out there that want to "puff" themselve up with a lot of diving patches, but evey so often you will run across someone with a bit of diving history stiched on the sleeve of their warmup. You will know the guy isn't some weekend wonder, like most have stated here, by his actions and ability at diving, not what he is wearing.

Yup, that's all I'm sayin. :D

muddiver:
Ok "M", point taken.

The joke in Uncle Sam's Missguided Children is that the Army guys get medals for stuff like throwing a handgrenade in boot camp. A Marine won't get an award unless he catches the grenade.

So a salad bowel on the chest doesn't impress me unless the guy is a Marine or I reccognize something important, like the MOH, SF crest or Ranger tab.

Same with diving. I agree that there will be blokes out there that want to "puff" themselve up with a lot of diving patches, but evey so often you will run across someone with a bit of diving history stiched on the sleeve of their warmup. You will know the guy isn't some weekend wonder, like most have stated here, by his actions and ability at diving, not what he is wearing.

It's not what a military person wears on the outside it's what they have on the inside.Patches and Badges mean little it's their actions in times of dire consequences that define a person whether they be Army,Navy,Air Force,Marine or Coast Guard. Never make the mistake of believing that because someone doesn't display a patch or was in a different branch of the service that are less of a person than those that display a patch.I know many " ordinary grunts" who only have a CIB and yet did more than some that went thru Ranger training or any other elite calling.

It is "salad Bowl" NOT salad bowel.

I stand corrected.

Phestr:
I have five specialties and AOW under my belt, and I just bought the Rescue Crewpack. Inside was an embroidered patch. It is very cool, but when I asked the guy at the counter if there were any others, or where I could get them, I just got a blank look. So, where does one get these? Do they come from PADI? If you display them, on what? Jackets, divelogs, dive bags?

===========================================

Aren't you glad you asked this question ...

Geeeez!! - such vitriol some seem to have re: a few scuba patches - what's the big deal -

I'm a noob diver myself, but I've done a thing or two and been around a bit in my 47.5 years of life thus far and have chingos of patches/certificates/awards/medals from other areas of my life (current & past) laying around somewhere in desk drawers & boxes in the back of the closet, or just lost - I've never been one to put them on the wall, sew them onto something, or use them as an avatar, but really have no problem whatsoever with those who choose to do so - (note: changed my avatar temporarily just as an example - not to brag)

If the person earned the patch righteously, be it by doing the required dive, saving a platoon in combat or a baby from a burning building, completing some little course, or whatever the criteria was, then it's theirs to do with as they like & nobody else's business as to what they choose to do with it. And it really doesn't matter what others think of the patch either.

Perhaps some like to display the patches as a conversation starter. (the main reason I never displayed stuff personally is that I have never liked to talk about my work outside of work)

Perhaps some actually are proud of their patches and there's nothing wrong with that (& if they are who are you to rain on their parade) you know not everyone has the opportunity to do a lot of things in their life for which which "patches" are issued

Perhaps some do it to "get chicks". Well Hey, so what do you care, more power to them if it works.

Perhaps a few do it thinking they will impress other divers (so what, leave them to their fantasy - what skin is it off your nose)

Perhaps some people just like to be "colorful"! I like having "colorful" people in the world.

I find it really hard to believe there's really very many pretenders out there displaying "scuba" patches they didn't complete the course for.

Seems to be a bit of "scuba snobbery" going on about this whole thing - lighten up! - it takes all kinds to make a world, ya know.

texarkandy:
Perhaps some do it to "get chicks". Well Hey, so what do you care, more power to them if it works.

How are patches going to help you get chicks when you're on a dive boat with women divers who probably have more c-cards than you? :huh:

I have no idea - somebody brought that up a few posts back (I'm personally kind of past the "getting chicks" stage of life anyway!)

I wonder if wearing my TDI cap with the big twins on the logo will help me get men?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom