PADI Rescue Diver class near miss (and lessons learned)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Petedives:
Yeah, I don't have anything further to add to Racheal's self-important
judgement of my OW skills or level of panic. Her training is obviously
far superior to anything I've received.

*rolleyes*

Peter

Heh and the buddy was the one with 'issues'...

You can argue the mechanics all you want, but true self sufficiency is your own personnal responsibility (and diving within your limits) set up and practice for solo and; depending on your experience/confidence you are as safe as you can be. I do not depend on another for my own well being and I don't feel anyone else should either. You are leaning towards a solo configuration by your own ideas, I always think this is a good idea/practice (I am no authority). Safe diving, Jim

I'm not sure... I'm reading this forum, mainly in silence, so I can learn and ask questions. But in spite of not dumping air from the BCD to slow ascent, you *do* have to admit it's a bit frightening that a rescue buddy would suddenly jerk away and go Head First toward the bottom of the drink, with no warning. In fact, that would frighten me just a bit.

Can OP tell us what explanation for this action was provided by Retreating Rescue Buddy at the debriefing? How did the course instructor react to hearing about this? I'm not trying to be nosy, but I'm going with the idea that there are two sides to every story, so we should at least hear what RRB had to say about the move before finding anybody guilty.

No, I'm not saying you should take off suddenly on someone you're rescuing. Absolutely not. But I'm wondering what justification there was.

I have to say, if losing a reg for a second constituted an emergency for you then you need to work on your own self-rescue skills.

I don't disagree that the guy was a jerk, but finding and securing your own regulator is a skill you should have had mastered from your OW class.

Rachel

If you are out of air even having both regs in your mouth wouldn't help! So it is an emergency, especially at bottom lung

air share is the way to began a dive and remember to flair when your buddy shoots for the surface

I start my Rescue confined water work tomorrow and will be doing the OW rescue portion on the 20th. After reading this thread, I'm interested to see just how intense my training is. The more intense and realistic of various scenarios the better IMO. I have heard from many folks that the dive shop I'm doing my Rescue class at does the most intense training around, and after this thread I'm glad for that. I'm also curious now about the "long primary, bungeed octo setup". I think I may try it in the confined water portion tomorrow (assuming I can find the bungee somewhere).

If you are out of air even having both regs in your mouth wouldn't help! So it is an emergency, especially at bottom lung

re-read post #1

It was a drill gone bad. The OP's octo is not in use and both of the divers are buddy breathing off of the primary reg when bad buddy cut's OP's turn short and leaves him hungry for air...

As someone more interested in solo diving than buddy diving, I don't make a great buddy, which is fine with me. But of course if there are other divers around and one of them runs out of air and I happen to be the closest diver around, I'm fully aware they're going to be yanking the reg right out of my mouth.

Fine.

In contrast to the DIR/long-hose folks, though, I have another solution for a situation like this that works even better for me: while the other diver sucks off my primary, I either grab my Air2 - which is always handy right there, very intuitive, OR I nod my head and pick up my necklaced pony reg (always dive my air pony - strictly as bailout, not for deco).

Either way, we both get breathing. Now I can pop two straps and remove my pony from the bag (one reason to bag your pony instead of mounting it... another option that works here is slinging it, although I find that gets in the way for close reef photography), pull the reg out of the necklace, hand off the whole pony rig to the other diver, and let them ascend on their own.

No futzing with unwrapping a long hose. No buddy breathing. No uncontrolled ascent due to another panicky diver. No risk of DCS on my part due to an OOA problem on theirs. Each goes up on their own.

>*< Fritz

P.S. Note that this presumes the kind of diving I do, which is strictly open-water, non-deco, non-tech; I understand full well that part of the discipline of being a good tech diver is the teamwork, and especially in overhead situations they simply cannot operate under the same assumptions I do. But that's not me.

3. I'm lucky as hell that I'm the type of guy to do more thinking than acting in
a panic situation. It was everything I could do to find my air, purge it, and
breathe through it.

Peter

Naw, it's a PADI class, pay your money and get your card. At *least* until you
go for instructor. There's a whole lot of PADI DM's that can't find their ***** with
two hands and a flashlight.

Peter
Pretty soon I'm off to do DM training,

Peter

So firstly, you have trouble locating your own reg, then you are highly critical of PADI, it's instructors and how they certify not only their divers but a group of their dive professionals and you are going to be a DMT?

If your logic applies, what's not to say that because you fork over the cash you aren't automatically going to get your DM and then be one of those divers you were just bashing?

There are lots of DM's out there that have worked very hard to get where they are and they know what they are doing. There are also those I know who have failed their DM training.

As for the IDC and the IE...you do know that IE stands for "It's Easy", right? Meaning, if you know what's what and how to do what you've been doing since you started diving with a little bit of micro and prescriptive teaching thrown in, you can pass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom