PADI vs NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
If followed up by a relevent link or two it would be extremely helpful.

Folks, most of you don't remember what it was like when you first joined this board ... or you've been here so long you don't realize the changes that have occured on this board over the past couple of years.

We're approaching a million posts. Just logging on here and trying to navigate the forum is almost overwhelming for someone new to the community. Performing a search on NAUI vs PADI will bring up literally hundreds of threads. Unless you're a professional researcher, it's a daunting task.

On the other hand, those of us who participated in those threads can still perform a valuable service by providing a pointer or two.

Or, you could simply refrain from responding to the question rather than telling a new member to "go do a search" ... although I'm sure it's well intended, it does come across as rather unfriendly to our newer members.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
What do you mean by providing a pointer or two?

skinautique:
Hello,
My wife, son and I are going to take SCUBA lessons very soon. We have both NAUI and PADI centers near us. Can anyone explain the differences,if any, between the two.
Thank You

Hello & Welcome!

I am a N.A.U.I. Instructor who is in the process of crossing-over to P.A.D.I. I do this for the sake of my LDS employer, who wants to convert his business to a P.A.D.I. Dive Center.

I was happy teaching for N.A.U.I., & from what I've seen of P.A.D.I., I will, with a few exceptions, be happy teaching their system; however, the divers I train will meet my personal standards, regardless of agency affiliation. Both agencies ( & all others, I would venture ) permit me the final discretion as to who I will certify to dive. They both provide minimum standards to which I must adhere, & in each instance, my courses exceed the minimum standard laid out.

My advice to you is to research this "purchace" as you would any other. Ask for
references from students previously trained by each Instructor you are considering. Look into their experience as Instructors: how long? how many students trained? what types of training have they done? Talk to each Instructor as to their personal philosophy & gauge their attitude. Look at their teaching system & determine if it is right for you & your family.

READ alot! This board is an excellent resource. There are many others as well. The more effort you put in up front, the more likely you will be satisfied with your diving training.

Good luck & train well!

D.S.D.

bob1dp:
What do you mean by providing a pointer or two?

What I mean is that if you go in and so a search for NAUI vs PADI you will get something like 500 threads. So asking someone to "do a search" is not much use unless you give them some more specific search criteria (keep in mind, we're talking about new users here who may not yet be familiar with how our board is organized).

On the other hand, someone who is likely to say "do a search" is doing to because they've read enough threads on the topic to flog a horse to death ... some of which are useful, and most of which probably won't be.

So, perhaps saying "search in X forum under such-n-such a topic" will help the new user navigate through the nearly-million posts on ScubaBoard and find some info that might actually answer their question ... rather than forcing them to wade through so many tangential conversations that by the time they find something useful they've forgotten what the question was.

Those who feel this is too much effort should simply refrain from responding, rather than curtly telling a new user to "do a search" ... that answer provides no real info and comes across as rather unfriendly.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I hope that doesn't mean I'm and "old" member. Suppose some one asks a question that I have read a goos thread on and posted. I can get back to that thread by just looking at my old post. How can I easily direct them to that specific thread?

bob1dp:
I hope that doesn't mean I'm and "old" member. Suppose some one asks a question that I have read a goos thread on and posted. I can get back to that thread by just looking at my old post. How can I easily direct them to that specific thread?

If you can find the thread, just open it in a new window ... then copy & paste the "address" in a reply to the person who asked the question.

At least, that's what I do ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ask if you can monitor a classroom and pool session, watch the instructor in action.

DeepSeaDan:
Both agencies ( & all others, I would venture ) permit me the final discretion as to who I will certify to dive.

You might want to research that a tad more. If you mean discretion as to what constitutes mastery of required skills, you are correct. If you mean discretion as to requiring additional skills that exceed standards, I believe you'll find you are incorrect with regard to one of those agencies.

Has anybody noticed that skinautique got his answer on 2/16 and hasn't answered since?

tedwhiteva:
Has anybody noticed that skinautique got his answer on 2/16 and hasn't answered since?
See post #4 in this thread. He obviously found the information he was looking for and has moved on.

At this point he and his family may be interested in learning to dive but have not yet taken the class so there is nothing stimulating him to make further inquiries at this time.

Hey, that's really good advice, I've done some work with a few agences, (SDI, PADI,NAUI), and you are correct, it is the instructor that really makes the diffferance.

Back
Top Bottom