PADI's min. age for Nitrox set in stone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even if my son studied the books and demonstrated that he understood the material, if he didn't have the card I would not allow him to dive Nitrox or get tanks filled for him to dive it. I don't want to set the example for him that "rules are meant to be broken", especially in diving, b/c that's normally when someone gets hurt.

We will just have him wait a year and pay the extra $$.

Fuzz
It's a piece of plastic, who cares? I would personally teach him to dive safely and use good judgment rather than blindly follow agency standards.

A better question: Why doesn't your husband see the benefit in diving nitrox?? :confused:

Among other possible reasons, Hubby might not feel Nitrox is worth it because he tends to run out of air before he runs out of NDL time. Nitrox only helps in situations where extending the NDL is meaningful, otherwise it's just pricey air.

I'd see if the instructor could give you any kind of "rain check" on the course, letting your son audit the course now with you, and re-taking it a year from now for his c-card.

If not don't sweat it, Nitrox is one of the few courses which can just as easily be taught as classroom only or via Internet, and who knows if the agencies will begin to allow that in the future with a reasonable reduction in cost.

A driver's license is a piece of plastic...I wouldn't be out driving on the highway without one. Personally I am always leary of people who believe that rules are made for idiots or the other guy.

Hey Don, I'm not sweating it anymore :wink: and I think you are probably right about the hubby, not as much benefit for him. Plus, he is super busy.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if PADI ever makes an exception to the rule for...

If make exceptions to the standards, they are not STANDARDS.

Sometimes there are waivers, granted by whatever agency is setting the rules, standards, guidelines, etc. because not all people are stamped out of the mold. I was just wondering if PADI ever gave waivers, no harm in asking was there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom