Paint Removal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Calling on the collective brains here!

Having spent a week diving from a newly pained Boat on the Red Sea the paint has come off onto my wetsuit and BC. Now...before I take paint thinners to the neoprene, which I think is a petrol/oil derivaitve (and the codura of the BC) and therefore watch my suit desolve before my eyes.......any thougths or suggestions as to a harmless but effective paint remover or is it safe to use thinners/brush cleaner? Many thanks from a Dive 'Newbie'

I believe you are correct not to try any paint thinners to remove the paint. But to provide more help (and probably not from me); Is the paint simply paint chips that have stuck to the suit or is the paint 'wet" . Chips of intact paint may be removed by throughly drying the suit and then using a scrapper to gently remove the paint chip.

Wet paint that has dried may be almost impossible to remove. Alcohol may soften the the paint and then maybe a medium stiff brush (with fibers bristles) might help.

If the wet suit is colored black, you might consider a thinned solution of Aqua Seal and use this to cover up the paint spots.

Any chemist out there?

well first off....thanks for such a fast reply!

dried chips or wet paint? well a bit of both really, so I think I can scrape some off.

I have some isopropal alchohol that I can try on a very old suit I was given....If its still in one piece after that I'll try it on my new suit.

And if that doesnt work.........I'll paint it black!! (I assume Aqua seal is a black waterproof paint?)

Cheers

Aqua Seal is an adhesive used to repair wet suits and dry suits. I mentioned it because in will stay elastic. However, looking at a dry suit pocket I put on last year the color may fade to a ligher hue over time. Just cover it again with Aqua Seal!

If you really want to look cool (like in a well worn wetsuit) then use the Aqua Seal as intended. Cut small patches of thin wet suit material and glue them over the paint spots!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom