Painting my 2nd stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KatherineLee

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is it possible to paint my 2nd stage with different color and has anyone done that? I have a yellow purge cover, hard case, and was thinking about painting it black. What kind of paint do I need?

Thanks
Katherine

I am guessing it is because you have an octo you no longer wish to use in that fashion and so want to get rid of the conspicuous color.

I did that myself recently, but I did it the easy way. I just asked my dive shop to order a black cap for that octo. It only cost a couple of bucks.

If you do want to paint it yourself, I would just go to a hardware store and ask for recommendations for the right spray paint and (especially) preparation technique. If you don't prepare it properly, it will just peel off.

You can't just use any krylon paint. You need krylon for plastic. you should also look for a plastic primer (that's not exactly what it's called). This will help the paint bond to the plastic. Before you start, you should also lightly sand the plastic with 400 grit sandpaper, then clean with something like alcohol. Be sure & use plenty of light coats to paint the plastic, otherwise it will run. Finally put a few coats of clear over the paint to prevent small scratches from showing the old color.

I'll bet buying the new cover is sounding better all the time. :)

I found a link - Krylon.com for plastic and it seems like the one I could try. No prep and costs about $4.5.

Thanks guys for your help!

I found a link - Krylon.com for plastic and it seems like the one I could try. No prep and costs about $4.5.

Don't believe the "No Prep" statements. Regs bang around on tanks & other gear all the time. If you don't do the prep work, I think you'll be disappointed in the long run. But the worst that would happen is that you'd have to re-do it down the road.

I think that's just about what what my new cover cost me.

Have fun!

And, remove the cover before painting it :wink: You do NOT want any overspray on the diaphragm.

Best wishes.

Brilliant. Marker pen for future touch ups, if that takes your fancy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom