Palau Agressor II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question is, would people still pay top $$ to go all the way to Palau and not be able to hook in on the marquee dive site "Blue Corner" in order to preserve that patch of coral... I know there are lot of amazing dives in Palau but the Blue Corner is the star attraction...

Ilikeair:
Were they feeding fish with eggs on dives?
One fish was fed one egg - there was a particular huge Bumphead Wrasse one of the crew was friendly with and I think that was his weekly treat. I didn't have a problem with it. I don't think everyone out doing a lot of fish feeding is the best idea, but I don't think a small amount hurts (assuming we're not talking crap like cheeze whiz.) Many places seem to have a couple "special" animals that have developed some relationship with people and everyone gets to enjoy the experience.

TCDiver1:
I agree Dennis. Opinions will vary but most people i know who have actually dove Blue Corner feel the same way.

Blue corner wouldn't even be a dive site without reef hooks. Blink your eyes a couple times and you miss it. :wink:

Thanks TC. I don't know of any diver that wants to hurt the reef. Like anything in diving, using a reef hook can be dangerous if you don't use it properly and it can damage the reef. It is just a better option, in my opinion, than grabbing the reef with your hands and laying down on it.

Blue Corner is a fantastic dive and it's nice to hang around for a while there. :wink:

TStrick:
Will be on the Palau Agressor in Aug. Has anyone taken this trip? What did you like/dislike about it and is there is there any good advise you could give me.

Littile off topic but I purchased a Canon A620 digi cam with housing for the above trip. I am not that experienced with underwater photography but I would like to be able to take some good pics to show the family. With the water conditions in Palau should I also spring for the external flash, if yes do you have any recommendations on which to buy?

Last question I know is in the wrong place but sort of applies to my trip so sorry....

Thanks in advance TStrick
I have not personally been on the Aggressor but I have used the "Undercurrent" publication (as well as their once yearly "Chapbook") to check on other live-aboards & so far, those resources have been right on... I know the Aggressor is in the Chapbook so you may want to check it out... Might have something on-line too: http://www.undercurrent.org/

I really do not understand why this thread has turned into an Aggressor bashing thread as that was not my intent. I do appreciate feedback good or bad but after staying on this boat during the week of 6-12 Aug I did not experience the terrible trip that Ilikeair did. I will try to give my opinion of Ilikeair’s complaints but again they are just my opinion.

Ilikeair stated that “I have never seen such disregard for environmental and basic diving safety procedures from a dive crew in my life.”
I can only answer this statement by first saying that I am truly sorry you felt that way. My wife and I did not see this from the crew, they were very professional. Upon first set-up of our gear those that did not have safety sausages and power whistle got them issued. They also issued emergency locators to buddy pairs, they did have enough for all but as my wife and I were not worried about being separated and she didn’t want anything extra on her BCD I wore the thing. The safety/dive briefings were top-notch in my book with the crew going to great detail explaining the dive site, currents, and plan. Not even once did I feel uncomfortable.

Ilikeair, “the most amazing thing to me was the complete disregard of the buddy system by the Aggressor II staff and also the disregard of basic environmental preservation practices.”
I am of the opinion that diving with a buddy should be a personnel choice not something that the crew should enforce. I usually dive with my wife as she already understands my diving habits and how to dive with someone who is taking pictures. I would even say that if I for some reason couldn’t dive with my wife I would rater dive solo, (depending on conditions) than dive with an insta-buddy. As for environmental preservation you make it sound like the staff are the ones killing the coral. I never witnessed any of the Aggressor staff touching the live coral or with anything other than an excellent horizontal profile. What I did see were poor dive profiles by many of the guest with equipment dangling around. My suggestion to you if saving the environment is your thing, become an instructor teach people proper diving technique and you will save many reefs. Come to Scubaboard and complain, nothing is solved.

Ilikeair, “Now I believe that all divers are responsible for their own safety and safety of their buddy, but to have a dive operation that knows that their customers are basically diving in an unsafe way that goes against every scuba diving organization in the world and does not care enough to say one word, is irresponsible and actually criminally negligent.”
I do not feel that the diving I did in Palau with the Aggressor was any more unsafe than diving I have done at any location. The drift diving does add another element that some may not be used to but if you practice safe diving, stay with your buddy and use all of the safety devices as needed your chances of survival are pretty good. For you to say that their way of diving goes against every scuba diving org in the world I can only assume that you are an expert on all certifying agencies. What are your credentials? I would assume that you can not know everything about every agency, I could be wrong; there are some people in this world who know everything about everything you may be one of them.
Why would you state criminally negligent? Are you also an attorney? To me that sounds like possible slander but that’s just my opinion.

The reef-hook issue. Yes it is very simple to use by a diver with some experience. I can see how it might be quite hard to use by a diver with little or no experience which is the category that I assume you are in, not a bad thing , keep diving. I just don’t think that making the general statement about reef-hooks is the best thing to do. I have only used it in Palau but neither I nor my wife had any problems. I do agree with you that the hooks cause coral damage and yes most of the coral on the Blue Corner plateau is dead and you are right to state that if this practice does not stop it will kill more coral. But it has been stated before that Blue Corner is the signature dive in Palau. If you, I, and everyone on Scuba Board told everyone that we knew and they did the same you would not be able to stop people from diving there. To this day it is a breathtaking dive and I suspect that it will always be. The attraction there is not the plateau itself but the abundance of sea-life that lives by the currents up and down the wall. I am an advocate for environmental conservation but Palau has miles and miles of beautiful living coral and I just don’t believe you will ever get people to stop diving this popular spot.

I have to address this mold problem. Giving Ilikeair the benefit of the doubt, (I did not go in every room). My stateroom, room #3 did not have any mold. I would even go as far to say that the crew does an excellent job keeping the boat in great condition. I have been around boats all of my life and I know how much maintenance and cleaning must be done to combat the moisture and salt air. The boat always smelled clean but being fair there were 8 other state rooms that I did not go in.

I am not affiliated with the Aggressor in any way. I am just a very satisfied customer. My wife and I just had the vacation of a lifetime and I hope that other people can go to that wonderful country and experience the same thing, it is by far one of the best places I think I will ever dive on this earth and the crew of the Aggressor made it that way for us…Ilikeair I am truly sorry that your experience was not like our. To anybody reading this please just go and see for yourself, read all that you can but please do not make a decision based on other people’s opinions. Thanks to the crew of the boat, no need to mention names but I sincerely hope that Angie and I can come back to see you…Thanks Tal

While we are on the topic of Palau, can anyone comment on their experiences aboard the "Big Blue Explorer", either first hand or second?

I have been on the Big Blue Explorer doing the same dives.

One of the reasons I went on the BBE was that they use two boats to split the divers up and dive from those independently though in the same area. I liked the idea of smaller dive groups and more boats to find me. You dove in the same group always and typically the same guides. Which is good because they miss you when you're gone. You dove as a group and surfaced as a group typically. I like this. Not everyone does. Everybody on our team had similar skills so there were no short air hog dives. PA II's use of a single big boat is not wrong, but I reduced my CHANCE of problem by going for the BBE style. Make your own choice.

We only were given safety sausages, but the guide deployed the sausage while on the safety stop and we never used ours, though we had one.

As for the reef hook, the hook isn't the problem. It's only the people using them. The problem was only for those who didn't value staying up off the reef as much. It took a little practice to learn what you had to do. That was inevitable. The same people laid on the coral head trying to get a shot of the mandarin fish later. I can easily see how it would wear on the reef if you got a lot of people doing that. Incidentally the guides were pretty amazing in their ability to still navigate around while you're seemingly holding on to keep from being swept off. So, it's obvious to see that they could damage the reef. However, the ocean is also an amazingly resilient thing. Life springs anew after much damage. Not a reason to damage it but that has to be considered when thinking of the long term use of the place.

And anybody who has done any research on Palau diving knows about the egg eating wrasse. He's the mascot.

I dont have many dives 300 or so. I dont have many posts. i find reading them many people have some of my opinions. Here is one of those threads i got to get into.
I have dove wit the aggressor fleet several times. My last one was the galapagose agressor 2, last october. What can i say but BEST trip i ever had. The staff you need it, it was there. We had a diver that needed help his legs were bad and this would be some of his final diving. Our dm's watched him and helped him out to a whale shark that most of us could not get to.
As far as buddies, most of us were strong divers: dm's, instructors, tec, but some were novis. We all had buddies but we all dove together and took care of each other. Some of us dive with a poor moto of same ocean same buddie. Not a great motto but we all look out for anyone in the water, buddie or not. The boat also had locator becans for all and it was manditory to wear one. For anyone that has been there the current there is swift, most of the time you had to hold the lava rock to keep from being swept away. Our guides breifed us on the conditions every dive. If the conditions were to tough for somee of the novices the guides dove with them to ensure there saftey and there experiance and confidence was there.
The maintnance and cleandleness of our boat was impecable. If you had a problem they made sure that you got it resolved. Special orders like coffee not coco between dives was also catered to. As far as the aggressor fleet goes i would go any were with them. Great diving great local knolage, and saftey, great food. Go aggressor. If you had a bad trip you should have said something to the staff i belive that they would have bent over backward to set it strait or make it right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom