palau liveaboard suggestions please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well the Palau Siren is not option anymore as it sunk about a week ago.
The Siren will be back. From WWDAS..."The good news is that it appears that the hull is undamaged and, though repairs will obviously be required, she is expected to be fully operational again. However, at this point, we are still working on time scales. Our guest and crew safety is always the number one priority and every check will be made to ensure Palau Siren is fully functional before we welcome new guests aboard."

Why are you looking for a liveaboard specifically? The day boats go to all the same sites as the liveaboards (and, when I was there in March diving with Palau Dive Adventures, a few they didn't). You also get a taste of the local culture when you use the day boats.
Hey drbill, I noted you mentioned land based trips in Palau a couple times. Palau dive adventures does a five day dive package. I am curious of you extended your stay and dove more then 5 days or what other island activity could extend a stay. We want to dive Palau and stay more than one week due to the travel distance.

I dove 2+ weeks with Palau Dive Adventures (PDA) and loved it. Their normal itinerary is five days of diving but the boat did go out on Saturday and Sunday one of the weeks. I am heading back there next April and May as seen in my previous post (the program has been extended to include a second two week course in May). Peleliu is on the itinerary.

When I travel to another country, I like to spend time experiencing the local culture as well so a good land-based dive trip is often preferred. I spent a lot of my weekend time just walking around Koror, trying the restaurants, etc. Of course there is also the museums and aquarium to visit and the coral reef association (if they've recovered from the fire earlier this year).

I did 30 dives with PDA during that time and brought home plenty of video to keep me out of trouble on my return (sitting at the computer and editing). My BluRay video from that trip is now available.

Hey drbill, I noted you mentioned land based trips in Palau a couple times. Palau dive adventures does a five day dive package. I am curious of you extended your stay and dove more then 5 days or what other island activity could extend a stay. We want to dive Palau and stay more than one week due to the travel distance.

very nice perspective. We have done both LAB and land based. We do like the option to get out and about, especially when traveling this far. Also - we have had great LOB and not so great LOB experiences. Thus we are the LOB or nothing kinda folks.

On Palau - it sure looks like the LAB and land ops visit all the same dive sites - would you agree?

Yes, the dive sites are mostly the same ones. Not sure if the land based operators do Peleliu a lot.. If you like luxury my advice would be the Palau Siren (as soon as the boat is back in the water) and if you have to consider your budget go for the Tropic Dancer or the Palau Aggressor. Sometimes they offer gread deals so always check their homepage. On a LOB you can do a lot more dives (up to 5 on the Aggressor) compared to a land based trip (think max. 3 - 4 dives). For me it was a bit tiring to look for places to have breakfast (with some hotels) and to go for dinner every evening together with the amount of dives I prefer the LOB.

I spent a little over two weeks in Palau last September...did one week of land based diving with Fish n Fins and one week on a liveaboard with Solitude One. Both diver operators were fantastic and I highly recommend both. We didn't make it to Peleliu until the end of the first week due to weather. Because it was rough, both day trip boats and liveaboards were staying away. After the weather calmed down, there were day trip boats and liveaboards at Peleliu. We visited all of the same sites both weeks, the only real difference we noticed was the length of the boat ride was obviously longer on the land based.

Back
Top Bottom