Question Palau October 2022 - Hotels and Activities Pre/Post Aggressor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DreadnoughtNH

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all!

For our COVID-postponed honeymoon, my wife and I are headed to Palau in October for a week on the Rock Island Aggressor, October 9-16.

We are spending 4 days on Maui, HI enroute before flying to Palau via OGG-HNL-GUM-ROR. We arrive at ROR the Thursday evening before we board the Aggressor the following Sunday evening.

We will be staying on Koror or Malakal Island for the 4 days pre-liveaboard, but we are open to suggestions.

We are looking for lodging and activity recommendations in Palau for the few days before we board. We also need a plan for the Sunday post-liveaboard (our flight out of ROR departs at 1am Monday morning.)

Re: lodging, our early research indicates that a hotel/resort is the best way to go pre-Aggressor. Am I wrong?

Re: activities pre-Aggressor: we are young(ish) 42/36 so mobility is not an issue. Our first day (Friday) will likely be a travel decompression day at the hotel involving naps, massages, and activities that involve little energy. That still leaves Friday evening, Saturday, and Sunday free for activities. We'd really like to find a good shore based dive operation to in order to get in the water pre-liveaboard. We're also up for other activities.

Re: activities post-Aggressor, we assume we could connect with the hotel/resort we stayed in prior to use the pool and facilities before our flight. We'd also appreciate other suggestions from those who have done similar.

I will also reach out to the Aggressor Palau crews for their input/suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Jellyfish lake(could be included in your diving itinerary), Rock Islands Tour(may included Jellyfish Lake).
SAM is a good operator.

You might want to have this post moved to The Pacific Islands board within scubaboard. There are a few different hotels that will work. Palau Pacific Resort is the nicest hotel on the island but it can be very pricey depending upon your room. There are some more mid-range hotels closer to the aggressor.

Think some used to have day rates for your final day after you get off the aggressor. Do make sure of your arrival dates as you may be crossing the dateline (think flights currently arrive on Fridays , not Thursdays ). If you think about it you can ping me in mid June. I should have fresh data points on Palau for you by then.

You might want to have this post moved to The Pacific Islands board within scubaboard. There are a few different hotels that will work. Palau Pacific Resort is the nicest hotel on the island but it can be very pricey depending upon your room. There are some more mid-range hotels closer to the aggressor. Think some used to have day rates for your final day after you get off the aggressor. Do make sure of your arrival dates as you may be crossing the dateline (think flights currently arrive on Fridays , not Thursdays ). If you think about it you can ping me in mid June. I should have fresh data points on Palau for you by then.
You might want to have this post moved to The Pacific Islands board within scubaboard. There are a few different hotels that will work. Palau Pacific Resort is the nicest hotel on the island but it can be very pricey depending upon your room. There are some more mid-range hotels closer to the aggressor. Think some used to have day rates for your final day after you get off the aggressor. Do make sure of your arrival dates as you may be crossing the dateline (think flights currently arrive on Fridays , not Thursdays ). If you think about it you can ping me in mid June. I should have fresh data points on Palau for you by then.

I figured I would do a quick follow-up on my own question!

I highly recommend the Palau Central Hotel for accommodations on Palau. The rooms reflect a western traveler, beds are very comfortable, and quiet (our room faced the back of the property; rooms towards the main road may be different). Breakfast options are available, and hot breakfast is available to order.

Rock Island Kayak Expeditions (RIKE) is an excellent tour operator! My wife and I did the Nikko Bay tour with another guest. The tour was led by a guide (Finn) and included a captain for the chase boat, and lunch. We did the tour the morning after arrival on the island with little sleep, and still felt relaxed. The tour included snorkeling at salt-water lakes and coves. Quite special.

Sam's is excellent land-based dive operation. We did 2 days of 2 tank dives (we should have done 3!) with 3 other guests. Lunch was included and the operation is professional while being easygoing. I would go with them in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, operations are avoiding Jellyfish Lake at this time. According to Aggressor and Sam's the jellyfish have been dying off in very high numbers and/or moving to deeper water. Cause is unknown (or unexplained) at this time.

Any thoughts on the Palau Hotel? We're leaving soon for Palau and booked a few nights there pre- and post-cruise.

Hello all!

For our COVID-postponed honeymoon, my wife and I are headed to Palau in October for a week on the Rock Island Aggressor, October 9-16.

We are spending 4 days on Maui, HI enroute before flying to Palau via OGG-HNL-GUM-ROR. We arrive at ROR the Thursday evening before we board the Aggressor the following Sunday evening.

We will be staying on Koror or Malakal Island for the 4 days pre-liveaboard, but we are open to suggestions.

We are looking for lodging and activity recommendations in Palau for the few days before we board. We also need a plan for the Sunday post-liveaboard (our flight out of ROR departs at 1am Monday morning.)

Re: lodging, our early research indicates that a hotel/resort is the best way to go pre-Aggressor. Am I wrong?

Re: activities pre-Aggressor: we are young(ish) 42/36 so mobility is not an issue. Our first day (Friday) will likely be a travel decompression day at the hotel involving naps, massages, and activities that involve little energy. That still leaves Friday evening, Saturday, and Sunday free for activities. We'd really like to find a good shore based dive operation to in order to get in the water pre-liveaboard. We're also up for other activities.

Re: activities post-Aggressor, we assume we could connect with the hotel/resort we stayed in prior to use the pool and facilities before our flight. We'd also appreciate other suggestions from those who have done similar.

Thanks in advance!

Hello all!

Thanks in advance!
Re: activities post-Aggressor, we assume we could connect with the hotel/resort we stayed in prior to use the pool and facilities before our flight. We'd also appreciate other suggestions from those who have done similar

Were you able to use the hotel/resort you stayed prior the Aggessor to use the pool and facilities before the flight without and charge? I don’t mind paying day use but not full price.
If not I was thinking of booking a room for the night than checking out the previous day at 11am and having out and using the facilities before my flight.

Were you able to use the hotel/resort you stayed prior the Aggessor to use the pool and facilities before the flight without and charge? I don’t mind paying day use but not full price.
If not I was thinking of booking a room for the night than checking out the previous day at 11am and having out and using the facilities before my flight.
apologies for the late reply as I just returned home from nearly a month of travel.

I suppose you could ask the hotel, but I would expect (and intend) to pay full price. A room is a room -- whether you use it for an hour or 24. The Cove hotel was a great place to get a nice shower and just decompress after a week of non-stop diving! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom