Palm Beach Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spinners & Bulls are the ones I see most often within 10 miles of BHB

Glad to see it’s not just me that has a hard time IDing sharks!

Nurse & Lemons are pretty obvious. I assume tigers, hammerhead & GWS would be too if I ever saw one, which I unfortunately have not. But reef, bull, spinner, sandbar, and dusky can all look so similar!

But reef, bull, spinner, sandbar, and dusky can all look so similar!
Agreed on most of those, but bull and sandbar stand out a bit. A smaller bull is easily confused, but full size bulls are broader and bulkier.

Sandbars do look like the others except for the dorsal and pectoral fins. They are ridiculously large compared to the body. That's always been a giveaway for me.

Using the very helpful links @PBcatfish shared, I believe videos 1 & 3 are spinners and video 2 is a bull.
I rewatched video 2, you're probably right. Funny how it was creeping up behind those divers. Too bad you cut the video, it would have been funny to see their reactions if they suddenly noticed a bull 10 ft behind them haha.

Remember that one dive we did where a small reef shark kept circling around and coming up behind us? That thing scared the crap out of me the first time, it was so dang close.

Remember that one dive we did where a small reef shark kept circling around and coming up behind us? That thing scared the crap out of me the first time, it was so dang close.
You'll start to get used to it as you do more spearing. I didn't used to see sharks very often until I started spearing.

I rewatched video 2, you're probably right. Funny how it was creeping up behind those divers. Too bad you cut the video, it would have been funny to see their reactions if they suddenly noticed a bull 10 ft behind them haha.

No, that was a Caribbean reef shark as well. Bulls are pretty easy to ID; between the bulk and the swimming style they look like weightlifters strutting out of the gym.

_9060424.JPG
Bull sharks in foreground and background; Caribbean reef shark second one from front with tail pointed towards camera.

_9060391.JPG
Bull shark.

Carcharhinids in general are the "generic gray 4-door sedan" line of sharks; you've really got to see them all in person. We had a long-running debate on which deep ledge summer sharks were silkys versus duskys; I really only got that down when actually seeing them next to each other.

No, that was a Caribbean reef shark as well. Bulls are pretty easy to ID; between the bulk and the swimming style they look like weightlifters strutting out of the gym.

View attachment 829529
Bull sharks in foreground and background; Caribbean reef shark second one from front with tail pointed towards camera.

View attachment 829530
Bull shark.

Carcharhinids in general are the "generic gray 4-door sedan" line of sharks; you've really got to see them all in person. We had a long-running debate on which deep ledge summer sharks were silkys versus duskys; I really only got that down when actually seeing them next to each other.

I disagree. Even the guides that dive all the time agreed the shark in my video #2 was a bull. To me, it looks exactly like the photos you shared of bulls. It even acted completely differently than the other sharks.

Let's just say we agree on one thing. They are all sharks. :cool:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom