Panama City Beach 3-5 JUL 2010 need current conditions infomation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Conan3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Panama City Beach 3-5 JUL 2010 need current conditions infomation

My Oldest son wants to go diving this weekend down at Panama City Beach.

Question is what are the water conditions right now.

I hate to ask, but how is the oil situation at the inshore sites and ST Andrews jetties?

Dave

water in the 80's, visibility pretty good, no oil.

Here is a link to the 72 hour oil trajectory map up to 7-3-10.

http://response.restoration.noaa.gov/book_shelf/2261_TMF72-2010-06-30-2100.pdf

Oil does not look like a problem, but the tide time don't look too favorable:

F 2 High 8:28 AM 0.9 5:46 AM Set 11:13 AM 75
2 Low 8:43 PM 0.4 7:48 PM Rise 11:27 PM

Sa 3 High 5:24 AM 0.9 5:46 AM Set 12:06 PM 66
3 Low 7:29 PM 0.4 7:48 PM Rise 11:56 PM

Su 4 High 4:49 AM 1.1 5:46 AM Set 1:00 PM 57
4 Low 3:48 PM 0.3 7:48 PM

Thanks Guys

I still don't know what to think about trying to dive PCB this weekend.

I'm getting conflicting reports. Such as below....

I called Panama City Dive Charters today and they said the boats were not going out because of the oil. The boats were working for BP!

They said no other dive boats were going out..

So what gives :confused:

Dave

Thanks Guys

I still don't know what to think about trying to dive PCB this weekend.

I'm getting conflicting reports. Such as below....

I called Panama City Dive Charters today and they said the boats were not going out because of the oil. The boats were working for BP!

They said no other dive boats were going out..

So what gives :confused:

Dave

Many of the boat operators have had to make some difficult choices in the last few weeks. Contracts offered by BP are an opportunity to replace revenue that SHOULD be fill swing right now was there no oil spill.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

Many of the dive boats are being contracted by BP and are going over to P-Cola to make runs out to capture oil.

It's spotty. I have reports of divers going down & hitting oil at depth, coming up covered. Not every where though. I'm taking family down to the jetties sunday to play, won't be diving though.

We were there and dove last weekend with no issues, but as is stated here it will be hit and miss. Keep in mind that just because no charters are running doesn't mean there is oil in the area. The boats are out looking for oil, not capturing it. Once they spot oil they call for skimmers or boom pullers to collect it. So the fact that they are looking for oil is a good thing but again, does not mean they are finding it. The only way to be sure is to talk to someone who was there, I was there last weekend and there was no oil, and no one got any oil on them that I heard of.

Back
Top Bottom