Panama City This summer-Where to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn:
If you can fill a boat, you can usually dictate which sites to goto, to a point - conditions may dictate the captain staying in closer obviously. There are other sites in the area, but they aren't dived much.

As for freshwater dives, Vortex, Morrison, and Cypress Springs are about an hour north. They can be alot of fun - Morrison and Cypress moreso(IMO) and free.

Matt, that didn't work for me :light: Strength and Bridge Span, filled the boat and wanted the Akkokeek or Chippewa, weather was good.

AL

wjefferis:
There is so much to see on the tower it would take several dives just to get all over it. I dove it 30 days after it sunk and believe me it is worth the drive to P-Cola. If you do, check out Blue Water Advertures at http://bluwateradventures.com/

Agree there's plenty to see on the island. We are going out with Gary in June http://www.gulfdiver.net/

AL

Diveral:
Matt, that didn't work for me :light: Strength and Bridge Span, filled the boat and wanted the Akkokeek or Chippewa, weather was good.

AL

Well that sucks.

I think whenever I goto PCB to dive off a boat, I'll just hire the boat direclty instead of running through a shop. Perhaps that'll allow for a bit more freedom.

Diveral:

AL

The dive charter operators have gotten 'lazy' in Panama City. They want to run to the first wrecks sunk within 3 miles of St Andrews and back as quick as they can.

Last year diesel was $3/gallon, so that explains part of it. But they also don't get the weekday charters as much as locations like Key Largo do, and winter charters are minimal at all. They even cost more than more tropical locations like Key Largo do, but I guess that's because of their minimized schedule.

I think I like Mat's suggestion of booking the entire boat and making the site locations part of the booking.

Well we booked through the shop (Dive Locker) we paid for the offshore trip and specified the Akkokeek as our first choice and Chippewa as the second. We went as a group and filled the boat. The Captain decided to do the short trip that day. As I said the weather was beautiful. The dive shop guys were surprised by the change in venue and refunded us the difference between offshore and inshore rates.

That's actually the last time we took the club down to Panama City. We've moved our Gulf diving to Pensacola and Orange Beach. So far those ops are willing to take us where we want to go. They'll keep our business as long as they continue to do so. It's sad but the attitude of the PCB dive ops have driven my business away from there. I just hope the Pensacola and Orange Beach guys never cop that attitude. Else I'll start driving to North Carolina more often. I really loved the attitude of the Dive Ops there. They are awesome. You really need to go with me next time I make the trip. You'll love it.

AL

You won't go wrong with Orange Beach and/or Pensacola either, probably even have more dive site options out this way :)

Well we've got a trip scheduled with Gary in June. Really looking forward to it. It'll be my first trip with him.

AL

The other problem with Panama City is what it costs to stay there now. You can't find a cheap room anymore. Even the Howard Johnson's off the beach is $120 or more a night.

The city is trying to re-make itself to become a 'new Destin'. They are tearing down all the old 2 story hotels and putting up 20 story condo's. They are trying to get rid of the college crowd who only spends money on beer and Taco Bell and replace it with higher income families in $2500 to $5000 rentals who spend big bucks shopping.

basically, they are trying to increase their tax base income through lodging tax and retail tourist sales.

mike_s:
The other problem with Panama City is what it costs to stay there now. You can't find a cheap room anymore. Even the Howard Johnson's off the beach is $120 or more a night.

The city is trying to re-make itself to become a 'new Destin'. They are tearing down all the old 2 story hotels and putting up 20 story condo's. They are trying to get rid of the college crowd who only spends money on beer and Taco Bell and replace it with higher income families in $2500 to $5000 rentals who spend big bucks shopping.

basically, they are trying to increase their tax base income through lodging tax and retail tourist sales.
I agree. I've been going there since 1986 when I met my wife. My brother lived there from 1977 till 2 years ago.
It's not the same place it once was. We stayed there as a family 2 summers ago and said never again. But my father-in-law is still fond of the place and wants a big group vacation there next summer. Hence, the reason I'm looking for diving activities to keep it interesting

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom