Panama Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just returned from 2.5 weeks in Panama. Spent 2 weeks with Panama Divers in Portobello. Can't say enough good things about Clay and his group. The hotel/dive shop was very accommodating to our group and were a pleasure to deal with. The diving was good also. I put down 20 dives there in the two weeks, all reef with the exception of a dive on a fish farm and a wreck dive.

Spent the last 4 days in Bocas Del Toro caving. Made a single night dive the day before I left (used La Buga, another good group of guys, very accommodating for a few hours notice for a night dive). The reef there was quite a bit different. Visibility between the two places was comparable this time of year, but I hear it improves significantly in the fall months. Overall I would say the reefs in Bocas looked a bit healthier, although it's hard to compare after a single night dive.

Hola,

When I say "virgin" I mean that at least where Clay took us was what I consider to be very remote. No other boats (fishing or diving) as far as the eye could see and the area appeared to be untouched. I'm no expert on gauging visibility, but I went to 110 ft and it was perfectly clear. The week I was in the area the weather had been very mild and I'm sure that contributed to the water clarity. Check out panamadivers.com and send them an email.

Try Caribbean Jimmy's Jimmy has small operation east of nombre de dios. takes you all along coast from nombre to el provenir. dives avg 75-100' on gorgeous reefs no one dives. book his week trip and he will take you to san blas island to dive. about a 2-1/2 hour boat ride. pretty cool. this area of panama is very remote and only handfull of divers know of jimmy. If your looking for real exciting diving check it out. I would rate this diving advanced being open ocean, currents, 2'-5' swells most of time. worst vis was 50' and best over 100' big sand flats,caves,big grouper, wall diving, lots of lobster, crab to catch. , Jimmy will pick you up at airport. His place about 3 hours drive away.

Curious about Jimmy's. Thinking of going in December over Christmas. Is the ocean calmer at that time? How was the food? And nightlife?

Curious about Jimmy's. Thinking of going in December over Christmas. Is the ocean calmer at that time? How was the food? And nightlife?

jimmy said it is rougher during winter. he closes down during winter. opens back up in may. email jimmy, he'll respond. this is very primitive diving. food is great because you are catching huge lobster, crabs every day diving and they cook them for you!! Very very very laid back place. no night life at all. dive all day, drink beer, rum, teguila, play poker till 10-11, talk, get up and do over next day. This is a place a group would want to go. no beginner divers here, like i said earlier, your dealing with currents, ocean swells, (good but not cozumel type vis), there is no divemaster leading you around, no hand holding here. This is a solo divers type event though buddy diving is encouraged. Thinking of putting on a trip for next summer 2010. I am thinking mid august.- early sept.- best weather. there are only 10 spots available. if there is some interest out there, I will post info and put a trip together. if anyone interested, let me know.

dk

Hello,just back from Cobia! Went with Cobia Dive ,Julie and Glen.Fantastic experience! Dove with Whale sharks,humpback whale w/calf,giant mantas and more sharks than you can count.Was like diving a giant aquarium. They were all drift dives but we had no problems,but should have a fair amount of experience in open water.Panama was really nice,nice people and reasonable prices.Will go back again.

kjm103...thanks for the comments. i just wanted to let everyone know that Coiba National Park
can cater to all levels of divers. it really depends on where (sites) you go. we do dsd's and open water certs here all the time. it's all about location, location, location.

Alright, in hopes that I catch someone still watching this ancient thread :D

My buddy isn't living in Panama anymore, but I've got an opportunity to come down next month-ish. It's very tentative (for me anyway, I missed the bandwagon and am #1 on the waiting list if anything comes up) and nobody really has details right now, but a group of guys from my unit (Marine Corps) are testing some new goodies, so they (we? fingers crossed!) are doing a little stint in all the extremes they can find with new weapons and accessories. Going to be in 29 Palms (yak. home..get me out!) for desert testing, apparently Wisconsin for "arctic" testing haha, and ultimately spending some time in Panama for jungle testing.

I have no clue where in Panama we'll be, how long we'll be there, or what our liberty schedule/restrictions will look like, but I'm loading my guns early in case I can take advantage of the opportunity and get wet while I'm there!

My buddy said he'd guess we'll be at Fort Sherman, I have no idea where anything is in relation to anything else haha, so how hard would it be to get around the country to find some diving (and a shop I can rent from..) if I were there, or anywhere else for that matter? Of all the shops I can find online, I didn't have too much luck finding specifics on gear rentals, does anyone rent BP/W's? I may have to stuff mine in with my flak jacket :wink:

How tough would it be to find a poor-schedule shore dive or short distance boat dive, without making reservations weeks, or possibly even days in advance? Like I said, I'm not sure we'll even be afforded the opportunity to leave wherever we're working, so I'd hate to make plans and not be able to keep them..

Thanks!

Ft. Sherman was Jungle Training Center when I was there way back in the early 1970's, I thought it was closed when the Canal went back to Panama, perhaps there is some residual training agreement, I don't know. However, it is just off Lake Gatun and Pina Beach near the Chagras River. I used to dive there from the shore to the reef. Can't tell you about any shops there, weren't any back then, filled our tanks at the motorpool. Lots of sharks off the mouth of the Chagras River.

What is the water temp around Coiba? What about BDT? Just wondering if my 3mm would be adequate?.....

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom