Panasonic Lumix TZ7/ZS3 with u/w case DMW-MCTZ7 HD VIDEO test results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,

I intend to get my PADI in Egypt in a couple of weeks (still have to plan the trip) and was thinking about buying this camera and housing. Only have a bulky Nikon :wink:

The images and video looks amazing. Did you use a red/orange lens to correct colors or is this all in-camera correction?

Thnx!

Hi rab1412000,

yes it was Continuous focusing with High Focus Area setting and am still experimenting on how to track subjects. Zooming too fast can be an issue and at least the new firmware update 1.1 will quieten the zoom.

as for sogod , the only resort i know worth visiting is Sogod Bay Scuba Resort, Philippines Home
and not Peter's Dive resort. Best time is dec to march for the whalesharks. Viz is good from Feb onwards i think. I missed the WS in May :-(

Best to take manila to tacloban airport thru cebupacific air.Then its a 3 and half hr drive to Sogod resort. Alternatively , you can try the ferry from cebu but it was a bit of a nightmare when i tried that option a few years back..

Hi Marcello,

no colour correction lenses used as i just used Underwater mode. iA seems to work better with night dive photos only. I have yet to try out white balances to depth ie Cloudy etc...

nice report and video.... i am also looking to get this DC...

how is the build in flash power? do you have strobe add on?

and how is the micro mode? are you able to take close up video with size like nudi or pygmy seahorse?
Hi Sfen,

i didnt use a strobe and the flash seems powerful enough. The u/w case comes with a neat diffuser anyway. I forgot to use the ultra macro setting. Will do so on the next dive trip and see.

Hi rab1412000,

yes it was Continuous focusing with High Focus Area setting and am still experimenting on how to track subjects. Zooming too fast can be an issue and at least the new firmware update 1.1 will quieten the zoom.

as for sogod , the only resort i know worth visiting is Sogod Bay Scuba Resort, Philippines Home
and not Peter's Dive resort. Best time is dec to march for the whalesharks. Viz is good from Feb onwards i think. I missed the WS in May :-(

Best to take manila to tacloban airport thru cebupacific air.Then its a 3 and half hr drive to Sogod resort. Alternatively , you can try the ferry from cebu but it was a bit of a nightmare when i tried that option a few years back..

hey wicked

thanks for the info man on both the camera and leyte.
i love panasonics direction and i am planning on getting the lumix in the near future. maybe by then it wont be as difficult to get thos hard to find u/w cases for the camera.
probably the only thing you will need is a strong video or focus light. i saw one in amazon.com being sold by intova but im not sure how good it is:

Amazon.com: Aluminum Super Nova Torch: Electronics

going back to leyte, are there any other things ot see in leyte aside from the whale sharks? did you try diving in padre burgos pier?

Thnx! Can you say anything about results in general conditions? I read some mixed messages about making pictures in bright sunlight where people experienced purple casts and flares. And is it true the camera does not have any manual modes (shutterspeed or diafragm priority)?

Hey who was the jerk who kept flashing thru your stargazer videos?

IMG_6994-1.jpg

IMG_6997-1.jpg

IMG_6999-1.jpg

IMG_7004.jpg

IMG_7006.jpg

Last edited:
rab1412000,

the night shots and vid came from that pier which is the prob the best night dive i have ever done bar the litter. I havent tried Lembeh but for wierd factor, this pier takes the cake..

fcg_vi has kindly added his awesome shots to this mail. G10 rules man! good to hear from btw :)

Marcello - unlike the g10 whcih fcg_vi has shown...the pany is more automatic and doesnt have these priority functions. Have to make do with exposure compensation and decent lighting. As for flares. i really didnt have an issue though i would try setting shots to cloudy or bright . If you want more manual than you have to look elsewhere.

I honestly bought this hybrid camera for HD vids as storage is getting cheaper by the hour :p. The photos were a bonus..

will do a youtube montage but it will be **** as it is my first time figuring out the damn focusing...

hey wicked innit, i also got this camera last week and tested in diving...

- do you use super high (SH) when recording videos (the youtube videos)?

- i was not able to use macro mode with the underwater mode... had to switch to normal camera mode for macro mode ... seems strange... do you have this problem? or it is normal?

- do you turn on the i - exposure?

- i am still learning to use the flash to aviod the dark area in the left hand buttom of the photo.. i tried not to stick too close to the subject... i had no problem with my Canon S70 previously...

- the battery can last for 2 dives only, need to get back up battery later..

- need further test on macro video, eg. pygmy seahorse

- please share more tips with me after your next trip..

hey wicked innit, i also got this camera last week and tested in diving...

- do you use super high (SH) when recording videos (the youtube videos)?

- i was not able to use macro mode with the underwater mode... had to switch to normal camera mode for macro mode ... seems strange... do you have this problem? or it is normal?

- do you turn on the i - exposure?

- i am still learning to use the flash to aviod the dark area in the left hand buttom of the photo.. i tried not to stick too close to the subject... i had no problem with my Canon S70 previously...

- the battery can last for 2 dives only, need to get back up battery later..

- need further test on macro video, eg. pygmy seahorse

- please share more tips with me after your next trip..
Hi Sfen,

yes i used SH . As for macro , normal photo has to be used as iA is for adjusting to everything. I will try ultra-macro function as well and see how the photos turns out. Yes pigmy seahorses are the true test!
I think for video you would have to try use limited zoom and close up and try not to crush the seahorse!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom