Panasonic Lumix TZ7/ZS3 with u/w case DMW-MCTZ7 HD VIDEO test results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

- the battery can last for 2 dives only, need to get back up battery later..

Hi Sfen,

When you say it only lasts two dives, about how many minutes of footage is that? 30? 1 hour?

This is a GREAT suggestion. My only comment is that these are HD videos, and the {YT} embed window is way too small to make use of the increased resolution. I've asked El Orans a few times to edit the YT tag to increase the dimensions of the video embed, but have been shot down because I'm apparently the only person who has brought it up (I believe that a lot of people just don't know the embed size can be controlled through the bbcode).

Small-size embed (click the YouTube logo to watch full-size):
great vid btw! yes you can see HD really makes a difference. However approx 2mins =>200Mb! . Still , storage is getting cheaper so no worries and you are forced to become a master editor for youtube. thanks for all the compliments.

Really i am still a newbie on this camera and will post another report after xmas as i will be on a Maldives liveaboard looking for whalesharks and mantas etc. The only thing i am going to solve is controlling the focus tracking and zooming. Now that the latest firmware solves the noise issue ..am hoping for more updates from Panny esp on colour (vivid like Canon). But lets be fair on ourselves..this is really an automatic cam!

Also , am going to get a tray and light setup. I think on obvious terms , the vid is less forgiving so a steady grip is needed...
Oh i found that taking land pics in the night - Night Scenery worked the better than iA as the flash is too focused.

youtube.com/watch?v=KgKlrJT8gbY (not allow me to post URL, please copy and paste)

here is my video, 16:9, SH quality......

for the battery, it can last for 3 dives if not too much flash used... i dont like the flash, it can only reach the right size of the photo.... if i shoot too close to the nudi, the photo is very dark :shocked2:

i have other problem. i am using class 6 SDHC 16G card but the DC would say the card is not fast enough to store the file sometimes (when i resume from power saving mode).... and i have to restart recording again and the warning would not come up again...

hey wicked, what setting do you use for video output after edit?

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all information. I am researching good still/video camera with waterproof case myself, and have 2 questions. Since ZS3 is Video capable and has specialized recording button (but ZS1 is not and therefore does not have this button), is the case equipped with this button (since it is designed for both ZS1 and ZS3)? Is the case providing access to all camera's features ? Let say I would like to set the white balance underwater - will I be able to do it? or switch from Video to still shots...

Thanks in advance...

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all information. I am researching good still/video camera with waterproof case myself, and have 2 questions. Since ZS3 is Video capable and has specialized recording button (but ZS1 is not and therefore does not have this button), is the case equipped with this button (since it is designed for both ZS1 and ZS3)? Is the case providing access to all camera's features ? Let say I would like to set the white balance underwater - will I be able to do it? or switch from Video to still shots...

Thanks in advance...
am researching more on the class 6 SDHC..Extreme 2 can also do it i think if it is at least >10Mbps.

For video definitely the Class6 is needed as i encountered the cam s/w going nuts at depth..For pics normal class4 was ok..

Sfen - for video output ..am not sure what you mean but i set at 16:9 with SH and HighFocus area...i might do away with 16:9 as it takes a lot of border space..

The u/w case does everything a normal cam would..even the dedicated video button which i find the most useful feature!

Hi all,

Maybe some of u noticed this in my vid, but every now and then there is a pulsing sound. I don't mean the zoom you hear, but more of an electronic sound. I read somewhere that this is an electric charge from the battery and that it depends on the card used whether this is heard at all or how obvious it is. In my case it is really obvious. I use Sandisk UltraII 8GB cards.

Did anyone notice this and does the new firmware help in this regard? It seems to be a know issue, but I haven't read about a solution yet.

Oh and btw thnx for your compliments on my vid :)

Grtz

Uncle,
The underwater housing does have all the required buttons to operate the ZS3. It is the same housing for the ZS1 but the button that is for movies just doesn't do anything on the ZS1. And since all the buttons are there you can adjust your white balance or anything else you need to.

Marcello,
I did read about the firmware upgrade will help with the electronic sound. I'm not sure if it makes it go away all together or makes it more quiet. The firmware upgrade also reports that you may no longer use aftermarket batteries. They just won't work in the camera anymore. I can't confirm these results and only read about them. I am a little afraid to try the firmware upgrade since I have additional batteries that are aftermarket.

Hi all,

well i managed to get my first Manta shots/vid after 500+ dives! Like waiting for a bus, they came in 3-4 at time . 12 in total! :cool3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojO9pHkld3Ihttp://www.youtube.com/user/wickedinnit#play/all/uploads-all/0/ojO9pHkld3I

pl subscribe my channel for more vids !

NOTE: i used SANDISK ULTRA II class 4 , 16GB SDHC ..and it worked below 30m for video! whoohoo!.. it means this card is a lot cheaper too...so i guess anything that says 15MB/s and above is alright regardless of the class...

BTW - i used Underwater Mode, SH quality, CAF, AF MODE - 1-AREA HIGH SPEED,
AVCHD Lite...no other settings..just a steady hand is what counts for the focus..

Back
Top Bottom