Panhandle Residents, how do you feel being a diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spotted about 10 smaller lionfish on White Hill and we managed to cull about 6 of them. They're hard to hit with a paralyzer tip when they're smaller than the tip spread. They can hide easy on the reef too.

The liberty ship was crawling in lionfish - easily saw 30 or more including some larger ones (8-10") just on the stern 1/2. We pulled at least 10 off, but it will need some more diver trips to get them thinned out since the wreck is pretty large.

The short bigeye I saw was at least 8" - the largest I've seen by far.

Love both of your albums and photography work, truly amazing! I spoke with a fellow recently who has lived and dived in the Panhandle. He was telling me that viz, off shore on the wrecks can actually get up to 80 feet or more at times. I wasn't aware that EVER happened in the Panhandle areas. He also told me that some of the Jetties and shore dives on good days can have 40-50 foot viz and that it's not super rare, but that it is just a roll of the dice and that some days suck, some are in between and some are awesome.

Is this true? If so I might just be sealing the deal for moving to the Panhandle.

The only two times I saw viz that was unacceptable for me were at the St. Andrews Jetty. Particulates in the water--gulf side as well. I've dived extensively in Destin, West to Pensacola and in between (both shore and boat) and always found it fine. As bad as 10 feet once in a while, but that's more than acceptable for me. Now that's in Jan.-March. Summer may well be different.

anyone diving ft pickins jetty in Pensacola 29 april? looking for a buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom