Papua New Guinea: B25C Mitchell Bomber - Anybody know anything about this wreck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donsilcock

Contributor
Reaction score

Late last year I got to dive a newly discovered aircraft wreck in Collingwood Bay, near Wanigela in Oro Province, PNG - the plane is apparently a B25C Mitchell Bomber and specifically the "Pistoff", that crashed on the 8th January 1943.

The wreck is about 200m off the beach and in about 17m of water, but not easy to find as the visibility was about 2m on the day we went there - I was diving with Tufi Dive Resort and on the way back from diving the Black Jack wreck at Cape Vogel, down at the southern end of Collingwood Bay.

The wreck is in quite good condition given the amount of time it has been underwater, but photography on the day was quite challenging to say the least... Here is the LINK to the images I took.

I am updating all the PNG location pages on my site and want to document a bit more about the wreck's history. I have been in touch with Justin Taylan of Pacific Wrecks who has documented what he knows about the wreck on this LINK but I wanted to see if anybody out there knows anything more about the "Pistoff" or can point me in the right direction?

Don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom