Papua New Guinea travel question - PLEASE HELP!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of the bigger hotels have a shuttle service from their hotel to the airport terminals.

You will find you have to pick up your luggage at the International Terminal and go to the Domestic.
Providing the flight is not delayed, 2 hours should be enough time to clear customs. I have flown through many times and always found them efficient. Definately have K100 ready for immigration.

As someone mentioned, pickpockets work at the airport, the domestic airport is 400m away, try to keep luggage to a minimum. Check in at the domestic is usually busy and chaos. Expect delays on departure.

I have only had good experiences at the airport. The staff are helpful. I have watched other travellers get themselves into a bad time though, in regards to delays, stolen/missing baggage,
excess baggage etc. PNG is the land of the unexpected, that at least you should expect.
My advice to any person going to PNG is be humble, be aware, and go with the flow, your on island time.

Enjoy your trip :)

That is the correct name Airways Hotel it's been a few years. Thanks.

I know it's still 5 1/2 months away, but rest assure I will have at least a couple detailed trip reports for all of you.

I must say, the Port Moresby thing is kinda freaking me out. I'm only going to have my carry-on bag with one check-in bag (which is my dive bag). I've already done the metric conversion, Air Niugini will allow me a little over 40lbs. So compared to other folks who are REALLY heavily into photography (no-pun intended), I hopefully won't have too many problems. I'll probably find a way to tape the zippers on my bags and have little to nothing in my pockets at the airport in POM. I get the impression that there is no security at that airport - at least none that seem to care about the patrons. Plus, hopefully an old faded polo shirt and cargo shorts and some scraggly stubble on my face will help me blend in some - I guess we'll see.

Thanks for the advice regarding the Port Moresby lounge at the nearby hotel, I'll check that out right away to see if that might be an option.

See you on the bottom!

Eric

There is heaps of security at the airport. Both domestic and international.
The domestic is a lot more wild, sounds like you will blend in with the rest of the expat crew.
Entry to the International is by ticket only. Just look confident. lol or at least like you know where you are going.

I know it's still 5 1/2 months away, but rest assure I will have at least a couple detailed trip reports for all of you.

I must say, the Port Moresby thing is kinda freaking me out. I'm only going to have my carry-on bag with one check-in bag (which is my dive bag). I've already done the metric conversion, Air Niugini will allow me a little over 40lbs. So compared to other folks who are REALLY heavily into photography (no-pun intended), I hopefully won't have too many problems. I'll probably find a way to tape the zippers on my bags and have little to nothing in my pockets at the airport in POM. I get the impression that there is no security at that airport - at least none that seem to care about the patrons. Plus, hopefully an old faded polo shirt and cargo shorts and some scraggly stubble on my face will help me blend in some - I guess we'll see.

Thanks for the advice regarding the Port Moresby lounge at the nearby hotel, I'll check that out right away to see if that might be an option.

See you on the bottom!

Eric

Air Niugini is funny on there checked luggage weights. If you travel to PNG on Air Niugini they allow you to travel with more weight on domestic flights. If you arrive in PNG on a different airline 20Kgs is what they allow you. :eyebrow:

I have been to PNG on about 10 trips. You will have to relax a bit on arrival in Moresby. If you catch the plane to Hoskins then great but I have had to overnight in the Airways Hotel twice as my flight was taken over by locals attending funerals (They take precedence over everyone). One time, as we were linking with a boat and would have missed a days diving, I arranged a local plane and pilots to fly us to Kavieng. The local flights are very reasonable about weight and divers.

Do NOT under any circumstance go into Port Moresby to wander around and shop, if you are female going into Moresby would be madness. It is a VERY dangerous town. I have taken a taxi to the local arts and crafts (worth it, everyone knows where it is) and had a drive around the town. I had to buy some socks in a dept store and a cop followed me to ensure I got back to the taxi.

Having said this all of the visits I have made have turned out brilliantly. After the flight issues, the diving is spectacular and I would go again tomorrow if I could.

Just be sensible and remember that 70 years ago these people were head hunters and some of them had never seen a white person.

I have been looking at photos and video of the Port Moresby airport, it looks much safer than the city itself. I just hope to hell I don't have to overnight there for any reason. But from what the pictures and video look like, I think as long as I put my hat and sunglasses on, sit near a security guard stand or something, then my biggest problem should probably just be bordem. I am always pretty paranoid about pick pockets anyway so I will definitely be mindful of that. I may think about doing the Airways hotel thing, but honestly, I think just venturing outside of the airport no matter where I go might be risking too much. I'll just probably deal with the dingey airport, the questionable people, and just occupy my mind about how close I'll be to what will probably be the greatest dive trip I've ever embarked on!

Thanks all, anyone want to come??? The Star Dancer still has spots!

Eric

Ewaiea it's not that bad!!!! The airport is SAFE there are security everywhere and police are stationed there. I've traveled in and out of the country regularly for 20 years and have NEVER been pick-pocketed walking between the terminals.

Yes 2 hours in between flights in Port Moresby is plenty as long as your international flight is on-time.

Having K100 on you for your visa will make things a lot easier.

you will have to pick up your bags in Port Moresby, and you don't have to walk to domestic to check in. THe international terminal has a domestic transfer counter, it is located at the international check in area (it can be a bit hard to spot), if you cant see it just ask the staff.

Air Niugini does have an agreement with the Papua New Guinea Divers Association to allow traveling divers to carry extra weight i.e dive gear so when checking in with Air Niugini TELL THEM it is dive gear, it usually helps.

If you do have a long wait in Port Moresby, catch the free Airways transfer bus up to the Airways Hotel, you can ask air niugini customer service to call the bus if it is not there. Airways is one of the best hotels in Port Moresby. It is only 10 minutes from the airport and has great view of the airport runway.

And yes the diving is spectacular! ENJOY!!! :D

I have been looking at photos and video of the Port Moresby airport, it looks much safer than the city itself. I just hope to hell I don't have to overnight there for any reason. But from what the pictures and video look like, I think as long as I put my hat and sunglasses on, sit near a security guard stand or something, then my biggest problem should probably just be bordem. I am always pretty paranoid about pick pockets anyway so I will definitely be mindful of that. I may think about doing the Airways hotel thing, but honestly, I think just venturing outside of the airport no matter where I go might be risking too much. I'll just probably deal with the dingey airport, the questionable people, and just occupy my mind about how close I'll be to what will probably be the greatest dive trip I've ever embarked on!

Thanks all, anyone want to come??? The Star Dancer still has spots!

Eric

What I did was after staying on Star Dancer and at Walindi we made a reservation for a few days at Loloata. When we arrived at the Port Moresby airport we were picked up in a van by Loloata and taken through town to the country side about a 10 to 15 min. ride. Then we were dropped off at a dock and they loaded our luggage on a small boat for a 10 min. ride to a small Island where Loloata is located. I don't think you could get much safer as that is all that is on the Island besides the wallabies that run wild and the Victoria Crown pigeons. We made some dives there as well but it was not as good as Star Dancer/Walindi.
IMG_0977.jpg

FWIW, Loloata is one of the few places where there are consistent (not guaranteed!!) sightings of the Lacy Scorpionfish (Rhinopias Aphanes - to some, the Holy Grail of all fish). That in of itself made my 3-4 days there worthwhile.

Back
Top Bottom